Integral of 1/polynomial (order 2)

• Thread starter Flux = Rad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral \int{ \frac{dx}{Ax^2 + Bx + C} is a complex inverse trigonometric integral that can be solved by completing the square in the denominator and using partial fractions. Another approach is to make the substitution u = x + \frac{b}{2a} followed by u = d cot \theta, and then use the trigonometric identity cot^2 \theta + 1 = tan^2 \theta to simplify the problem to \frac{1}{v^2}.
Flux = Rad

Homework Statement

[tex]\int{ \frac{dx}{Ax^2 + Bx + C} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can't think of any immediately obvious substitutions. What I've tried is completing the square in the denominator so that the integrand becomes

[tex] \frac{1}{(\sqrt{A}x + \frac{B}{2\sqrt{A}})^2 - (\frac{B^2}{4A} - C)} [/tex]

I guess then I could treat it as a difference of two squares, then use partial fractions? That's going to be a lot of work though, and I was wondering if it will even work or if there's a better way of doing it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would try partial fractions over the complex numbers. BTW, I've never actually done it, but see no reason why it couldn't be done. On the other hand, you may as well give it a shot while you wait for someone more qualified to answer.

Last edited:
This is an inverse trigonometric integral, meaning the solution involves an inverse tan.

The strategy is to complete the square of the denominator so that you have something of the form:

[tex]\int{ \frac{dx}{(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 + \frac{c}{a} - \frac{b^2}{4a^2}} [/tex]

With that, you can make the substitution of [tex]u = x + \frac{b}{2a}[/tex], followed by the substitution [tex]u = d cot \theta[/tex]. Through the trigonometric substition [tex]cot^2 \theta + 1 = tan^2 \theta[/tex] you will then have a simple [tex]tan^2 \theta [/tex] in the denominator, which can then once again be substituted into a [tex]\frac{1}{v^2}[/tex] problem.

Hope that helps.

Ahhh yeah. Perfect, thanks for that.

Okay, you might not want to take my steps in the previous post word for word there. I jumped the gun a bit with the trigonometric substitutions. They require the chain rule, but somehow it cancels each other out in the end. So just work your way through. >.<

What is the definition of an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2)?

An integral of 1/polynomial (order 2) is a mathematical operation that finds the area under a curve of the function 1/polynomial (order 2). It is denoted by the symbol ∫ 1/polynomial (order 2) dx.

How do you solve an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2)?

To solve an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2), you can use the substitution method or partial fractions method. In the substitution method, you substitute u for the polynomial (order 2) and then solve for u. In the partial fractions method, you factor the polynomial (order 2) and then write the integral as a sum of simpler fractions.

What is the significance of an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2) in mathematics?

An integral of 1/polynomial (order 2) is important in mathematics because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve of a function, which has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps us in solving differential equations and finding antiderivatives of functions.

Can an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2) have multiple solutions?

No, an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2) can only have one solution. However, there can be different methods to solve it, such as the substitution or partial fractions method, which may result in different expressions but ultimately lead to the same solution.

Are there any limitations to solving an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2)?

Yes, there are certain limitations to solving an integral of 1/polynomial (order 2). For example, if the polynomial (order 2) has complex roots, the partial fractions method may not work. Also, some integrals may not have an analytic solution and may require numerical methods to be solved.