How Do You Integrate 6x^2e^(x^3) in Differential Equations?

• Thread starter montana111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the homework statement is to solve a diff eq: y' + 3(x^2)y = 6x^2. Next, you need to find I(x) which is e^(x^3) and multiply everything by that. Then, you integrate both sides to get I(x)y = the integral of [6(x^2)(e^(x^3))]. However, I have problems with the integral on the right hand side. If someone could help explain why the final answer has a negative sign in the exponent, that would be much appreciated.
montana111

Homework Statement

This is an example problem from my stewart calculus book.
the whole problem is "solve this diff eq: y' + 3(x^2)y = 6x^2
next step is to find I(x) which is e^(x^3) and multiply everything by that
then you say (I(x)y)' = 6(x^2)(e^(x^3)) and then you integrate both sides
so I(x)y = the integral of [6(x^2)(e^(x^3))].
this is where i have problems. i cannot figure out the integral on the right hand side.

the book then shows the answer to the integral as 2e^(x^3) + C
and the final answer is then y = Ce^(-x^3)
Also if someone could explain to me why the final answer has the negative sign in the exponent that would be helpful.

Ive looked at the problem for a while so maybe I am doing something wrong or there is a trick I am missing but I've tried to do it "by parts" with no luck. I was under the impression that you cannot just take the integral of an exponential like e^x^x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that you have
[tex]x^2e^{x^2}[/tex]
in your title but the integral you want is of
[tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex]?

I mention that because I suspect that [tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex] can't be integrated in any simple form while [tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex] is easy!

Let [itex]u= x^3[/itex] and then [itex]dy= 3x^2dx[/itex] so your integral becomes
[tex]\int x^2e^{x^3}dx= \frac{1}{3}\int e^{x^3}\left(3x^2dx\right)= \frac{1}{3}\int e^u du[/tex]

wow. I am dumb. thank you.

p.s. where on the site can i see how to make tags for actual mathmatical symbols like you have in your reply?

montana111 said:
wow. I am dumb. thank you.

p.s. where on the site can i see how to make tags for actual mathmatical symbols like you have in your reply?

When you open the Advanced Options of the post, you got the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] button where you can choose the mathematics symbol. This forum has implemented LaTeX, so you can write the formulas inside the tag [tеx][\tex]

Related to How Do You Integrate 6x^2e^(x^3) in Differential Equations?

What is the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))]?

The integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))] is ∫(6x^2)(e^(x^2)) dx = 3e^(x^2) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))]?

To solve the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))], you can use the substitution method where u = x^2 and du = 2x dx. This will transform the integral into ∫(3e^u) du, which can be easily solved by using the power rule for integration.

What is the purpose of using the substitution method to solve the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))]?

The substitution method is used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to solve. It allows us to replace a complex expression with a simpler one, making the integration process more manageable.

Can the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))] be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))] can also be solved by using the integration by parts method or by using the table of integrals. However, the substitution method is the most efficient way to solve this integral.

What are the applications of the integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))] in science?

The integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))] has various applications in science, specifically in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, which is essential in understanding concepts such as work, energy, and probability. It is also used in solving differential equations, which are commonly used to model real-world phenomena in science.