Integrating e^x(cosx) | Step-by-Step Solution for Homework

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of cos(x)*e^x and solving for it. The third line suggests moving the integral on the right to the left and the final result is (e^xsinx+e^xcosx)/2. The conversation also mentions using Euler's formula for a more efficient solution.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of my attempt, it seems to loop back... Maybe I made a mistake... If not how am I suppose to integrate this? Thank you!

Attachments

• Doc - 2011-12-19 4-24 PM.jpg
    Doc - 2011-12-19 4-24 PM.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,260
Physics news on Phys.org
Stop at the third line. Now move the integral of cos(x)*e^x on the right to the left. Then you are basically done. The third line gives you an equation where the only integral is cos(x)*e^x. Solve for it.

Dick said:
Stop at the third line. Now move the integral of cos(x)*e^x on the right to the left. Then you are basically done. The third line gives you an equation where the only integral is cos(x)*e^x. Solve for it.

Oh I see, I got

∫(e^xcosx dx)=(e^xsinx+e^xcosx)/2

But how did I get :
∫(e^xcosx dx)=e^xsinx+e^xcosx-∫(e^xcosx dx) (in the third step)

and

∫(e^xcosx dx)=∫(e^xcosx dx) (in the last step)

The two are not the same thing?

theBEAST said:
Oh I see, I got

∫(e^xcosx dx)=(e^xsinx+e^xcosx)/2

But how did I get :
∫(e^xcosx dx)=e^xsinx+e^xcosx-∫(e^xcosx dx) (in the third step)

and

∫(e^xcosx dx)=∫(e^xcosx dx) (in the last step)

The two are not the same thing?

Both of those statements are true. The first one tells you something useful. The second one is also true. But it doesn't tell you anything useful. They don't conflict with each other.

Last edited:
there is a really slick way to do this with Eulers formula. using e^(ix)=isin(x)+cos(x)
By substituting e^(ix) in and then taking the real part at the end.

FAQ: Integrating e^x(cosx) | Step-by-Step Solution for Homework

What is the integral of e^x(cosx)?

The integral of e^x(cosx) is equal to e^x(sin(x) + cos(x)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral of e^x(cosx)?

To solve the integral of e^x(cosx), you can use the technique of integration by parts, where u = cosx and dv = e^x dx. After integration by parts, you will get e^x(sin(x) + cos(x)) + C.

Can the integral of e^x(cosx) be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integral of e^x(cosx) can also be solved using substitution. You can let u = sin(x) + cos(x), then du = (cos(x) - sin(x))dx. After substitution, the integral will become e^x(u)du, which can be solved by integrating by parts.

What is the difference between the integral of e^x(cosx) and e^(x^2)?

The difference between the integral of e^x(cosx) and e^(x^2) is that e^x(cosx) has a trigonometric function, while e^(x^2) does not. The integral of e^(x^2) can be solved using the substitution method, while the integral of e^x(cosx) requires integration by parts.

Is there a general formula for the integral of e^x(cosx)?

Yes, there is a general formula for the integral of e^x(cosx), which is e^x(sin(x) + cos(x)) + C. This formula can be applied to any integral of the form e^x(f(x)), where f(x) is a trigonometric function.