Integral of hellalot of work is shown

In summary: In fact, if you use u = tan^-1 (2y), you'll get that the first integral is = 2\pi \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} 2\sec u \tan udu = 4\pi \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} \sec u \tan u duwhich is simpler than what you're doing. As for the second integral, you have a y^2 term in there, which you can break into y times y. Then use the substitution on each. The first will be simple, the second will require integration by parts.
johnq2k7
Evaluate the integral below:

2Pi times the integral of (2-y^2)(sqrt(1+4y^2)) dy from 0 to sqrt(2)

work shown:

using integration by parts I got:

let u= sqrt(1+4y^2)

therefore du= 4y/(4y^2+1)

let dv= (2-y^2)

therefore V= 2y- y^3/3

since Integration by Parts is (u)(V) - integral of (V)(du)

therefore i got 2*Pi times (sqrt(1+4y^2)(2y-y^3/3) - integral of (2y-y^3/3)(4y/sqrt(4y^2+1)) dy from 0 to sqrt (2)

using trig. subs. method i got

i tried using the tan y= 2y method of trigonometric substition

but i still wasn't able to evaluate the integral fully

i still need some help...

here's my work shown below:

2Pi times integral of (1-2y^2)*(sqrt(1+4y^2)) from 0 to sqrt(2) becomes:

2PI times integral of (1- ytan y)(sqrt(1+tan^2(y)) from 0 to sqrt(2)

since sec^2(y)= 1+tan^2(y)

i got 2Pi times integral of (1- ytan(y))(sqrt(sec^2(y))

therefore i got 2Pi times integral of (1- y*tan(y))(sec(y))

since sec y= 1/ cos y and tan x= sin y/ cos y

if i let u = sec y
du= sec y tan y dy

therefore i got, 2Pi times integral of u - y du from 0 to sqrt(2)

i still need a lot of help... I've tried using normal integration by parts methods.. and i haven't been able to fully evaluate the integrate because it keeps creating another integral that needs to evaluated by parts again.. .i need a lot of help here
after evaluating this i keep getting a more completed integration by parts.. and continuous iteration.. please help me solve this integral

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you should do is break this into two integrals.
[tex]2\pi \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} (2 - y^2)\sqrt{1 + 4y^2}dy[/tex]
[tex]= 2\pi \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} 2\sqrt{1 + 4y^2}dy - 2\pi \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} y^2 \sqrt{1 + 4y^2}dy[/tex]

I think that both can be tackled with the same trig substitution, namely tan u = 2y.

1. What is the integral of hellalot of work?

The integral of hellalot of work is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of work done over a certain period of time or distance. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by finding the area under a curve on a graph of work versus time or distance.

2. How is the integral of hellalot of work calculated?

The integral of hellalot of work is calculated using integration, which is a mathematical process of finding the anti-derivative of a function. This involves breaking down the work function into smaller parts and finding the area under the curve for each part, then adding them together to get the total work done.

3. What is the significance of the integral of hellalot of work?

The integral of hellalot of work is significant in physics and engineering as it allows us to calculate the total amount of work done by a force over a certain period of time or distance. It also helps us understand the relationship between work and other physical quantities such as energy and power.

4. Can the integral of hellalot of work be negative?

Yes, the integral of hellalot of work can be negative. This occurs when the work being done is in the opposite direction of the applied force. In this case, the area under the curve on the graph will be below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the integral.

5. How is the integral of hellalot of work used in real-life applications?

The integral of hellalot of work is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of energy needed to move an object or the power output of an engine. It is also used in fields like economics and finance to analyze and predict trends in data over time.