Prove Integral f&g Defined in R: Find Derivative

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, f is a function defined as: for all x>-1 f(x) = 1/((ln(x+1))^2 + 1) and for x=-1 f(x)=0. The function F(x) is defined as the integral of f(t) from 0 to x^2+2x. It is continuous for all real values and has a derivative given by (2x+2)/((ln(x^2 + 2x +1))^2 + 1). Similarly, the function g is defined as f(x) for all x>-1 and -1 for x=-1. The function G(x) is defined as the integral of g(t) from 0 to x^
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

f is a function defined as: for all x>-1 f(x) = 1/((ln(x+1))^2 + 1) and for x=-1 f(x)=0.
a) Prove that [tex]F(x) = \int^{x^2 + 2x}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex] is defined in R and has a derivative there. Find the derivative.

b) g is defined as: for all x>-1 g(x) = f(x) and for x=-1 g(x) = -1.
Is [tex]G(x) = \int^{x^2 + 2x}_{0} g(t)dt[/tex] defined in R? Does it have a derivative there?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)first I proved that f is continues for all x>=-1 Then since x^2+2x>0 for all x in R F(x) is defined and it's derivative is easy to get with the chain rule. I got:
F'(x) = (2x+2)/((ln(x^2 + 2x +1))^2 + 1)

b)Since g differs from f in only one point F(x) = G(x) and so G is defined and has a derivative for all x in R.

Is that right? I'm mostly worried about (b).
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me :) Other than the small error than G is defined and has a derivative for all x > -1, not all real values.

In (2), it helps to notice, as you said for (1), that x2+ 2x is never negative: the interval of integration, 0 to x2+ 2x, does not contain -1 and so what happens there is irrelevant.

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How is an integral of a function f(x) defined in R?

In R, the integral of a function f(x) is defined as the limit of a summation of rectangular areas under the curve of f(x) as the width of the rectangles approaches zero. In other words, it is the accumulation of infinitely many small rectangles that approximate the area under the curve.

3. What does it mean to prove the integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R?

Proving the integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R means to show that the integral of the product of these two functions is equal to the product of their individual integrals. This is known as the integral product rule and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

4. How do you find the derivative of an integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R?

To find the derivative of an integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This theorem states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function being integrated. In other words, the derivative of the integral of f and g is f(x)g(x).

5. What is the significance of proving the integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R?

Proving the integral of two functions, f and g, defined in R is significant because it allows us to find the derivative of the integral, which is a crucial tool in many areas of mathematics and science. It also helps us to understand the relationship between the integral and the original functions being integrated, and how they are connected through the fundamental theorem of calculus.