The Mysterious Name of the Integral Symbol: A Mystery Solved?

In summary, the integral symbol was first used by Leibniz and it is also known as a "summa" or "sea horse". It is a symbol for the mathematical operation of integration, which is a limit of sums. It is often represented as \int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx.
ascky
What is the actual name for the integral symbol? I know it was first used by Leibniz, but did he actually call it anything...? It's really hard trying to convince my friends the integral symbol is the sexiest thing ever invented, when I don't even know her true name. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called an integral symbol. Sorry to disappoint.

- Warren

Grrr... I knew it.

Lol - the "sexiest" thing ever invented.

My father called it a "sea horse"!

It's somthing devious here.If Leibniz invented it,and from what i know the story goes that he wanted to mix the Latin and Greek letters for S,then what would S mean...??My guess is that it would have to do with the sum
[tex] \sum f(x)dx [/tex],since both Riemann and Darboux lived well after Leibniz,right??
:confused:

"The symbol [tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx[/tex] reminds us that an integral is a limit of sums (the integral sign is an old-fashioned S) of terms of the form [tex]f(x)[/tex] times a small difference of [tex]x [/tex]."

-Hughes Hallett. calculus, single variable

so the integral sign is an s which stands for "sum"

Last edited:
The symbol is also known as a "summa", in reference to its origin -> http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/thomas_awl/chapter1/medialib/custom3/topics/calculus.htm .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the integral symbol and what does it represent?

The integral symbol (∫) is a mathematical symbol used to represent the concept of integration in calculus. It can also be interpreted as a summation of infinitely small parts to find the total area under a curve.

2. Why is the integral symbol sometimes called the "long s"?

In the 17th century, the integral symbol was written as a long s (ſ) to represent the Latin word "summa", meaning "sum". This usage was later replaced by the integral symbol we know today, but the term "long s" stuck.

3. Who is credited with inventing the integral symbol?

The integral symbol was first used by Swiss mathematician Johann Bernoulli in 1696. However, it was later refined by mathematician Gottfried Leibniz in 1705 and is often referred to as the "Leibniz integral symbol".

4. What is the connection between the integral symbol and the letter "S"?

The shape of the integral symbol is derived from the cursive letter "S" in the Latin word "summa". This is why it is sometimes referred to as the "long s". The integral symbol was also inspired by the capital letter "S" used in the German word "Summe", meaning "sum".

5. Is the integral symbol used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the integral symbol is used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to represent the concept of integration. It is also used in statistics to represent the cumulative distribution function. However, its most common use is in mathematics to solve problems involving area, volume, and other mathematical concepts.