Integrating cos^2(x)/sinx using substitution and integration by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for integrating cos^2(x)/sin(x) and suggests replacing cos^2(x) with 1-sin^2(x) to simplify the problem.
shn
i have try to intergral cos^2( x)/sinx. When i used sinx=t i got {[(1-t^2)^n-(1/2)]\t}. When i use intergral by parts i got {cos^2n-1(x)[1-cos^2(x)]} to intergral. If you could give me a tip to intergral this i would bn thankful to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the n come from? There is no n in the initial question.

If I were you I would start by writing this as:

[tex] \int cot(x)cos(x)dx [/tex]

What identities do you know for cot(x) that might make this easier?

edit - Your post changed during the time I was writing this. Yes, the way it is now written is actually easier to see the next step.

thankz man!i did'nt read it correctly!:'(

shn said:
i have try to intergral cos^2( x)/sinx. When i used sinx=t i got {[(1-t^2)^n-(1/2)]\t}. When i use intergral by parts i got {cos^2n-1(x)[1-cos^2(x)]} to intergral. If you could give me a tip to intergral this i would bn thankful to you!
First off, there is no such word in English as "intergral."

And you don't "integral" something - you integrate it.

Regarding your answers, n should not appear in them, so you are not using integration tables correctly, assuming that's what you're doing.

The simplest way to approach this problem is to replace cos2(x) by 1 - sin2(x), which changes the integral you started with to
$$ \int \frac{1 - sin^2(x)}{sin(x)}~dx$$

Split this into two integrals and the rest is pretty straightforward.

FAQ: Integrating cos^2(x)/sinx using substitution and integration by parts

1. What is an integral trig function?

An integral trig function is a mathematical function that involves both a trigonometric function (such as sine, cosine, tangent) and an integral (or antiderivative) of that function. It represents the area under a curve of the trigonometric function.

2. How do you integrate a trigonometric function?

To integrate a trigonometric function, you can use the basic integration rules for trigonometric functions or you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. You can also use substitution or integration by parts to solve more complex integrals.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in integral trig functions?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integral trig functions are:
1. sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1
2. tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x)
3. 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)
4. sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
5. cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)
6. 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x)
7. 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)
8. sin(x)cos(y) = (1/2)(sin(x+y) + sin(x-y))

4. How are integral trig functions used in real life applications?

Integral trig functions are used in many real life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics or engineering problems, determining the displacement of an object in motion, and analyzing sound waves and vibrations in music and acoustics.

5. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral of a trigonometric function?

A definite integral of a trigonometric function has specified limits of integration (upper and lower bounds) and represents the exact area under the curve of the function within those limits. An indefinite integral of a trigonometric function does not have specified limits and represents the general antiderivative of the function. It is often used to find the area under the curve for a range of values or to solve more complex integrals.