Integrals in Physics: Solving a 4lb Bucket Problem

In summary, the equation for the water in the bucket is 40- .1x. The water in the bucket rises 2 ft/s so the water leaks out at .1 lb/ft. The weight of the water in the bucket after rising x feet is 40- .1x.
lemurs
Ok This is a Calculus assignment question but more of af physics thing..

First were using integrals so there is the first part.

I understand Intergration and all it jusst how to get a equation to apply it to is the hard part.

a 4 lb bucket is lifted 80 Ft from a bottom of a well full of water.
the water in bucket weighs 40lb but is leaking out of a hole at a rate of .2 lb/s. It rate of accent is 2 ft/s.

As far as I can tell there will be a constant in the equation since a 4lb bucket will rise 80 ft. so that is constant thye whole time.. but since the water is leaking how do i use that rate of change in with the speed.

Plus I am figure this out in the British system.. Lb/ft not metric Newton joules.

so a far as i got i would have 4*80 + (40-.2x)/2

As far as I can figure i would have to use that formula.. but it just doesn't look right or sound right..

Physics news on Phys.org
.2 lb/s is the rate at which the water leaks out. During those two seconds, the bucket rises 2 ft/s so the water leaks out at .1 lb/ft. The weight of the water in the bucket after rising x feet is 40- .1x. The "40" is not divided by 2. Now you can do either of two things: argue that the weight of bucket and water, after rising x feet is 4+ 40- .1x= 44- .1x and integrate that as x goes from 0 to 80 or argue that it requires 4*80 ft-lbs of work to raise the 4 pound bucket so integrate 40- .1x to find the work necessary to raise the water and then add 4*80 to that.

Thanks now that you got it making complete sense I can get this stuff done..

Related to Integrals in Physics: Solving a 4lb Bucket Problem

1. What is an integral in physics?

An integral in physics is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in solving problems related to motion, acceleration, and force in physics.

2. What is the 4lb bucket problem?

The 4lb bucket problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of a 4lb bucket when pulled by a rope with a constant force. It is a common problem used to demonstrate the application of integrals in physics.

3. How do you solve the 4lb bucket problem using integrals?

To solve the 4lb bucket problem using integrals, you first need to draw a graph of the force applied to the bucket over time. Then, you can use the integral to calculate the area under the curve, which represents the change in velocity of the bucket. Finally, you can use this change in velocity to calculate the acceleration of the bucket.

4. What are the key steps in solving the 4lb bucket problem using integrals?

The key steps in solving the 4lb bucket problem using integrals are: 1) drawing a graph of the force applied to the bucket over time, 2) calculating the area under the curve using the integral, and 3) using the change in velocity to calculate the acceleration of the bucket.

5. What other physics problems can be solved using integrals?

Integrals can be used to solve a wide range of physics problems, including problems related to motion, acceleration, force, energy, and work. They are an essential tool in many areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.