1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate sqrt(x-x^2)

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate [tex]\sqrt{x-x^2}[/tex]

The attempt

I did a trig substitution, letting [tex]cos(\theta)=\frac{x}{sqrt(x)}[/tex] and after some manipulation ended up with [tex]-2\int \ |sin(\theta)cos(\theta)|sin(\theta)cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex] which I have no idea how to integrate.

If I make a u-substitution and let u=cos(theta) rather than simplify to get the above, I get [tex]2\int \ u\sqrt{u^2-u^4}du[/tex] which I cant make any progress on either.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The original integral must be over a range in [0, 1]. This means you can restrict theta to [0, pi/2], allowing you to drop the modulus function, leaving sin2cos2. Can you solve it from there?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. Dec 29, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The more common way to do a problem like this is to complete the square inside the radical then substitute. I think it goes a bit easier that way.

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4
    @haruspex: Yeah, I tried that and when I got the incorrect answer, I went back and saw that I overlooked the fact that you need to insert the modulus wheen rooting a square. Will try again in case I made an error though.

@Dick: Thanks, I'll see where I can get with that.

6. Dec 29, 2012 #5
    Like Dick said. Look at it like this try to reformulate it so you get something like this:

[tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-(x-}\frac{1}{2})^{2}dx[/tex]

and substitute u : [tex]u=x-\frac{1}{2};dx=du[/tex]

and see what you can get.

7. Dec 30, 2012 #6
    try factorizing out the x... then use a substitution sqrt x = something... simplifies things alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook