Integrating a Rational Function with a Quadratic Denominator

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation involving partial fractions, but is having trouble understanding why substitutions are being made. He eventually solves the equation using a different method after finding C and D.
n4rush0

Homework Statement

[1/(x^4 - x)]dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I factored the denominator to x(x-1)(x^2 + x +1) and I'm not sure if I can use partial fractions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF n4rush0.

What exactly is preventing you from carrying out partial fractions? That is the correct way to proceed.

So I set

1/[y(y-1)(y^2+y+1)] = A/y + B/(y-1) + (Cy+D)/(y^2+y+1)

1 = (y-1)(y^2+y+1)A + y(y^2+y+1)B + y(y-1)(Cy+D)

y = 0, A = -1
y = 1, B = 1/3

Not sure what to do for C and D

You're doing something wrong. Just write the whole polynomial in y and equal it to 1. You should get a system of 4 equations with 4 unknowns which is very easy to solve.

EDIT: You're doing it right, but it's a much more tedious work towards the end than in the method I suggested.

Last edited:
bigubau said:
You're doing something wrong. Just write the whole polynomial in y and equal it to 1. You should get a system of 4 equations with 4 unknowns which is very easy to solve.

No he's doing it right, it's just a different method. However...

n4rush0: Do you notice the pattern of your substitutions? It's to get some numbers in front of just 1 term, and zero's in front of the rest, right? To find C and D, you need to substitute in the zeros of y^2+y+1. You'll end up with a pair of simultaneous equations for C and D, which you can solve.

However, in this case, since you already know A and B, it's easier at that point of the problem to just sub in simple values for y, say -1 and 2, and solve those.

Alternatively, you can do what bigubau suggested.

n4rush0 said:
So I set

1/[y(y-1)(y^2+y+1)] = A/y + B/(y-1) + (Cy+D)/(y^2+y+1)

1 = (y-1)(y^2+y+1)A + y(y^2+y+1)B + y(y-1)(Cy+D)

y = 0, A = -1
y = 1, B = 1/3

Not sure what to do for C and D
Out of curiosity, why did you switch from x that was used in your integral to y here?

I tried multiplying it out and got
1 = y^3 (A+B+C) + y^2 (B-C+D) + y(B-D) - A

Even knowing that A = -1 and B = 1/3, I'm still not seeing the "nice" solution.

Oh and, my original problem involved using y, but I wanted to use Mathmatica which solves dx integrals and I copied and pasted [1/(x^4 - x)]dx from there.

Well, then you've missed the most important point in the partial fraction decomposition method.

on the LHS of what you wrote there's supposed to be the following polynomial in y

0 y^3 + 0 y^2 + 0y +1.

Does that help you solve the problem ?

Yes, that helps alot. Thanks, I solved it.

1. What is the general formula for integrating 1/(x^4 - x)?

The general formula for integrating 1/(x^4 - x) is ∫1/(x^4 - x)dx = 1/3ln|x^3 - 1| + C.

2. What is the substitution method for solving the integral of 1/(x^4 - x)?

The substitution method for solving the integral of 1/(x^4 - x) involves substituting u = x^2 - 1, du = 2xdx, and rewriting the integral as ∫1/(u^2 + 1)du.

3. How do you solve the integral of 1/(x^4 - x) using partial fractions?

To solve the integral of 1/(x^4 - x) using partial fractions, we first use long division to rewrite the integrand as 1/(x^4 - x) = 1/(x(x^3 - 1)) = 1/(x(x-1)(x^2 + x + 1)). Then, we can use the method of partial fractions to decompose the rational function into simpler fractions, and integrate each part separately.

4. Can the integral of 1/(x^4 - x) be solved using trigonometric substitution?

Yes, the integral of 1/(x^4 - x) can be solved using trigonometric substitution. We can use the substitution x = tanθ to rewrite the integral as ∫1/(tanθ(tan^3θ - tanθ))sec^2θdθ, and then use the trigonometric identity tan^2θ = sec^2θ - 1 to simplify the integrand.

5. Are there any other methods for solving the integral of 1/(x^4 - x)?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the integral of 1/(x^4 - x), such as using the Weierstrass substitution or the Euler substitution. However, these methods may not always be straightforward and may require a deeper understanding of advanced calculus concepts.