Integrating Binomial expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses using the binomial expansion and integration to prove an equation for a positive integer n. The conversation also mentions trying to find the value of a constant, but it is suggested to plug in a value for x to solve for the constant.
mattmns
Here is the question from the book:

By integrating the binomial expansion, prove that, for a positive integer n,

[tex]\frac{2^{n+1} - 1}{n+1} = 1 + \frac{1}{2}\binom{n}{1} + \frac{1}{3}\binom{n}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n+1}\binom{n}{n} [/tex]
------------

So I integrated both sides of the following:

[tex] (1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k [/tex]

After integrating both sides we get:

[tex]\frac{(1+x)^{n+1}}{n+1} + C = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} [/tex]

Now my goal makes me feel like plugging in x = 1, which will get us very close to what we want to prove, but that stupid constant is making me slightly off (I think the constant C should be = -1/(n+1) ) But I have no clue how to go about figuring out the value of the constant. Any ideas? Thanks.edit... if you do plug in x = 1, you get the following:

[tex]\frac{2^{n+1}}{n+1} + C = 1 + \frac{1}{2}\binom{n}{1} + \frac{1}{3}\binom{n}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n+1}\binom{n}{n}[/tex]

Which as I said is very close to what we want to prove, I just can't figure out what we are supposed to do with the constant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plug in x=0 to solve for the constant.

Perfect, thanks!

1. What is Binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical concept that involves expanding a binomial expression (an expression with two terms) raised to a certain power. It follows a specific pattern and allows for simplification of complex expressions.

2. How do you integrate Binomial expansion?

To integrate Binomial expansion, you first need to use the Binomial theorem to expand the expression. Then, you can use the power rule and substitution to solve for the integral.

3. Why is Binomial expansion important in science?

Binomial expansion is important in science because it allows for simplification of complex equations, making them easier to solve and analyze. It is also used in probability and statistics, which are essential in many scientific fields.

4. Can Binomial expansion be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Binomial expansion can be used in real-world applications such as calculating probabilities, analyzing data, and solving problems in physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using Binomial expansion?

Yes, Binomial expansion has limitations. It can only be used for binomial expressions (expressions with two terms) and may not be applicable for more complex expressions. It also relies on the assumption that the terms in the expression are independent and equally likely.