1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Binomial expansion

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Here is the question from the book:

By integrating the binomial expansion, prove that, for a positive integer n,

[tex]\frac{2^{n+1} - 1}{n+1} = 1 + \frac{1}{2}\binom{n}{1} + \frac{1}{3}\binom{n}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n+1}\binom{n}{n} [/tex]

So I integrated both sides of the following:

[tex] (1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k [/tex]

After integrating both sides we get:

[tex]\frac{(1+x)^{n+1}}{n+1} + C = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} \frac{x^{k+1}}{k+1} [/tex]

Now my goal makes me feel like plugging in x = 1, which will get us very close to what we want to prove, but that stupid constant is making me slightly off (I think the constant C should be = -1/(n+1) ) But I have no clue how to go about figuring out the value of the constant. Any ideas? Thanks.

edit... if you do plug in x = 1, you get the following:

[tex]\frac{2^{n+1}}{n+1} + C = 1 + \frac{1}{2}\binom{n}{1} + \frac{1}{3}\binom{n}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n+1}\binom{n}{n}[/tex]

Which as I said is very close to what we want to prove, I just can't figure out what we are supposed to do with the constant.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Plug in x=0 to solve for the constant.
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    Perfect, thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?