Integrating Fermionic fields by parts

In summary: Psi(x) = i\int d^4x \, \overline{\eta(x)}\Psi(x)In summary, by using integration by parts and the relation between the Dirac operator and the Feynman propagator, we can show that the given integral simplifies to the desired form. I hope this helps!
Muoniex

Homework Statement

Hello there!
I have been studying path integral for fermionic fields, and I don't understand one detail.
I have to proove that:

[tex]\int d^4x\int d^4 y\, \overline{\eta (y)}S^+_F(x-y)(i\partial\!\!\!/-m)\Psi (x)=\int d^4x \, \overline{\eta (x)} \Psi (x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

We know that the Feynman propagator and the Dirac operator verify:
[tex](i\partial\!\!\!/-m)S_F(x-y)=i \delta (x-y)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This integral is supposed to do by parts.
It's clear that:
[tex]-\int d^4x\int d^4 y\, \overline{\eta (y)}S^+_F(x-y)m\Psi (x)=-\int d^4x\int d^4 y\, \overline{\eta (y)}mS^+_F(x-y)\Psi (x)[/tex]
But my problem is with the term:
[tex]i\int d^4x\int d^4 y\, \overline{\eta (y)}S^+_F(x-y)\partial\!\!\!/\Psi (x)[/tex]
This integral is supposed to do by parts, by I don't know how to do it. It's the first time I saw an integral by parts with operators and not just with functions...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution, but let me offer some additional guidance.

When dealing with integrals involving operators, we can use the same techniques as with integrals involving functions. In this case, we can use integration by parts to manipulate the integral involving the derivative.

Let's start by writing the integral in a slightly different form:
i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \overline{\eta(y)}S_F^+(x-y)\partial\!\!\!/\Psi(x) = i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \partial\!\!\!/(\overline{\eta(y)}S_F^+(x-y))\Psi(x)

Now, we can apply the product rule for derivatives to the term inside the parentheses:
i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \partial\!\!\!/(\overline{\eta(y)})S_F^+(x-y)\Psi(x) + i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \overline{\eta(y)}\partial\!\!\!/(S_F^+(x-y))\Psi(x)

The first term is just the original integral, so we can substitute it back in:
i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \partial\!\!\!/(\overline{\eta(y)})S_F^+(x-y)\Psi(x) = i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \overline{\eta(y)}S_F^+(x-y)\partial\!\!\!/\Psi(x)

Now, let's focus on the second term. We know that the Dirac operator and the Feynman propagator satisfy the relation (i\partial\!\!\!/-m)S_F(x-y) = i\delta(x-y), so we can substitute this in:
i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \overline{\eta(y)}\partial\!\!\!/(S_F^+(x-y))\Psi(x) = i\int d^4x\int d^4y \, \overline{\eta(y)}(i\partial\!\!\!/-m)\delta(x-y)\Psi(x)

Now, we can use the delta function to simplify

1. What is the purpose of integrating Fermionic fields by parts?

Integrating Fermionic fields by parts is a useful technique in quantum field theory that allows for simplification of complex integrals involving fermionic fields. It also helps to maintain the correct anti-commutation relations between fermionic operators.

2. How does integrating Fermionic fields by parts work?

The integration by parts technique for Fermionic fields involves using the product rule and anti-commutation relations to rewrite an integral in a simpler form. This is done by moving derivatives from one field to another, resulting in a more manageable integral.

3. Are there any limitations to integrating Fermionic fields by parts?

Yes, there are limitations to this technique. It can only be used for integrals involving fermionic fields, and it may not always lead to a simpler form. It also cannot be applied to integrals involving odd numbers of fermionic fields.

4. Can integrating Fermionic fields by parts be used in any type of quantum field theory?

Yes, integrating Fermionic fields by parts is a general technique that can be applied in any type of quantum field theory that involves fermionic fields, such as supersymmetric field theories.

5. Are there any applications of integrating Fermionic fields by parts in other fields of science?

Yes, integrating Fermionic fields by parts has applications in various areas of physics, such as condensed matter physics and string theory. It is also used in other branches of science, such as mathematics and computer science, for solving certain types of integrals.