1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating indefinitely: (ln x)/x^3

1. Jun 8, 2008 #1
    edit: Nevermind, I realized a way to find the answer after posting it. Though I still don't know about the thing involving the notes, can someone confirm if what I have written down as my teacher doing is true?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    note: I'll use this S as an integral symbol.

S(ln x)/x^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    With a ln x type function being divided by a power of x, I did the obvious and made u = ln x and du = 1/x dx, but that still leaves x^-2. I don't know how to get from here.

I just saw this problem in my notes and am not sure if I made an error when writing, but what my teacher appears to have done is made the same substitution I did, and then wrote
    S(ln x)/x^3 = Se^(-2u) du.

I don't know how one makes that, and when I plug back the substitution I don't arrive at the original equation. I get e^(-2 ln x)*dx/x = (x^2)/x * dx (I split e^-2 ln x into (e^-ln x)(e^-ln x) = -x^2. So I think I just wrote something down wrong, but in any case, I still do not know how to go beyond that simple substitution I made earlier.

edit: I just needed to integrate by parts with ln x = u and dv = 1/x^3

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes integration by parts would work,but the substitution of u=lnx works as well,though longer

[itex]du=\frac{dx}{x}[/itex]

and [itex]u=lnx \Rightarrow x=e^u[/itex]

so you can find [itex]x^{-2}[/itex] from that and you'll get what he did.

4. Jun 8, 2008 #3
    Thank you. :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?