Integrating indefinitely: (ln x)/x^3

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a solution for the integral S(ln x)/x^3. The attempt at a solution involved using the substitution u = ln x and du = 1/x dx. However, the resulting equation still had x^-2, which the individual was unsure how to deal with. The person then noticed a similar problem in their notes where their teacher had made the same substitution, but also used the equation S(ln x)/x^3 = Se^(-2u) du. The individual was confused on how this equation was obtained and when they plugged in their substitution, they did not arrive at the original equation. After some discussion, it was determined that integrating by parts or using the substitution u = ln
roq2
edit: Nevermind, I realized a way to find the answer after posting it. Though I still don't know about the thing involving the notes, can someone confirm if what I have written down as my teacher doing is true?

Homework Statement

note: I'll use this S as an integral symbol.

S(ln x)/x^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

With a ln x type function being divided by a power of x, I did the obvious and made u = ln x and du = 1/x dx, but that still leaves x^-2. I don't know how to get from here.

I just saw this problem in my notes and am not sure if I made an error when writing, but what my teacher appears to have done is made the same substitution I did, and then wrote
S(ln x)/x^3 = Se^(-2u) du.

I don't know how one makes that, and when I plug back the substitution I don't arrive at the original equation. I get e^(-2 ln x)*dx/x = (x^2)/x * dx (I split e^-2 ln x into (e^-ln x)(e^-ln x) = -x^2. So I think I just wrote something down wrong, but in any case, I still do not know how to go beyond that simple substitution I made earlier.

edit: I just needed to integrate by parts with ln x = u and dv = 1/x^3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes integration by parts would work,but the substitution of u=lnx works as well,though longer

[itex]du=\frac{dx}{x}[/itex]

and [itex]u=lnx \Rightarrow x=e^u[/itex]

so you can find [itex]x^{-2}[/itex] from that and you'll get what he did.

Thank you. :p

1. What does it mean to integrate indefinitely?

Integrating indefinitely, also known as finding the antiderivative, is the process of reversing the derivative operation to find the original function. This means finding a function whose derivative is the given function.

2. What is the antiderivative of (ln x)/x^3?

The antiderivative of (ln x)/x^3 is -1/(2x^2) - ln(x)/(2x^2) + C.

3. What are the steps for integrating (ln x)/x^3?

The steps for integrating (ln x)/x^3 are as follows:

• Use the power rule to rewrite x^3 as x^-3.
  • Use the quotient rule to rewrite (ln x)/x^3 as (1/x^3)*(ln x).
  • Integrate (1/x^3) using the power rule to get -1/(2x^2).
  • Integrate ln x using integration by parts to get -ln(x)/(2x^2).
  • Add a constant of integration, represented by C.

4. Why is the constant of integration, C, necessary when integrating indefinitely?

The constant of integration, C, is necessary because when taking a derivative, any constant term becomes 0. Therefore, when finding the antiderivative, we must include a constant term to account for all possible solutions.

5. Can (ln x)/x^3 be integrated using other methods besides integration by parts?

Yes, (ln x)/x^3 can also be integrated using the substitution method or by rewriting it as (ln x)*(x^-3) and applying the power rule and the constant multiple rule.