Integrating of an exponential of a matrix product

In summary: As for how I wrote Q = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac>, I started with the expression Q = <y+c,A(y+c)> - 2<b,y+c> and I noted that the term -2<y+c,b> could be rewritten as 2<b,y+c>, so I did that.
Fb.Researcher

Homework Statement

I try to solve this integral with with parameter x as a member of this scale:(-∞ , +∞)
I=∫∏dx exp(-0.5XAX + XB)=∫∏dx exp( Ʃ-0.5xa[j]x[j] +Ʃ xb )
In which a[j] and b are components of telated matrix and vector and the first sum is on i and j ranges from 1 to N .Also X and B are two vector with N component and A is a N*N matrix,so the integral is over all x (which denote components of X).

Homework Equations

Gaussian integrals in the same scale obey this equation:
∫dx exp( -ax^2 ) =√(π/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a change in variables like X=Y + CB with CA=Ac=1 should be appropriate:

-0.5(XAX) + XB=(-0.5)(Y+CB)A(Y+CB)+(Y+CB)B=(-0.5)(YAY+YACB+CBAY+(CB)^2)+YB+CB^2
= (-0.5)(YAY+YACB+CBAY+(CB)^2)+YACB+CB^2
=(-0.5)(YAY+CBAY+(CB)^2-YACB + 2CBB)

The problem is there is no YY=Ʃyy to help me change this problem to a Gaussian problem.Another problem is with YACB and CBAY that arenot compatible with this equation:
(A+B)^2=A^2+B^2+AB+BA .

Thank you for noticing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fb.Researcher said:

Homework Statement

I try to solve this integral with with parameter x as a member of this scale:(-∞ , +∞)
I=∫∏dx exp(-0.5XAX + XB)=∫∏dx exp( Ʃ-0.5xa[j]x[j] +Ʃ xb )
In which a[j] and b are components of telated matrix and vector and the first sum is on i and j ranges from 1 to N .Also X and B are two vector with N component and A is a N*N matrix,so the integral is over all x (which denote components of X).

Homework Equations

Gaussian integrals in the same scale obey this equation:
∫dx exp( -ax^2 ) =√(π/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a change in variables like X=Y + CB with CA=Ac=1 should be appropriate:

-0.5(XAX) + XB=(-0.5)(Y+CB)A(Y+CB)+(Y+CB)B=(-0.5)(YAY+YACB+CBAY+(CB)^2)+YB+CB^2
= (-0.5)(YAY+YACB+CBAY+(CB)^2)+YACB+CB^2
=(-0.5)(YAY+CBAY+(CB)^2-YACB + 2CBB)

The problem is there is no YY=Ʃyy to help me change this problem to a Gaussian problem.Another problem is with YACB and CBAY that arenot compatible with this equation:
(A+B)^2=A^2+B^2+AB+BA .

Thank you for noticing.

Your exponent is -(1/2)Q, where Q = <x,Ax> - 2<b,x> (writing the inner product sum u[j]*v[j] as <u,v>). We need to assume A is *symmetric*; if not, we can replace it by a new A that IS symmetric, and work with that. Writing x = y + c (c a constant vector) we have Q = <y+c,A(y+c)> -2<b,y+c> = <y,Ay> + <y,Ac> + <c,Ay> + <c,Ac> - 2<b,y> = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +<y,2Ac-2b>. If we take Ac=b we eliminate linear terms and just have Q = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac>.

Now, we must assume A is positive-definite; otherwise, the integral will not be convergent. It follows that A is invertible, so c = Inverse(A)b can be found. Furthermore, we can perform a Cholesky factorization of A, to write A = U^T U, where U^T = transpose of U and U is upper-triangular with all u[i,i] > 0. Thus, if U[1] = u[1,1]y[1] + u[1,2]y[2] + ... + u[1,n]y[n], U[2] = u[2,2]y[2] + u[2,3]y[3] + ... + u[2,n]y[n],..., U[n] = u[n,n]y[n] we have <y,Ay> = U[1]^2 + U[2]^2 + ... + U[n]^2. We can change the variables of integration from y[1], y[2], ..., y[n] to U[1], U[2],...,U[n], to get:
[tex] \int_{R^n} \exp{\left[-\frac{1}{2}<x,Ax> + <b,x>\right]} \, dx_1 \cdots dx_n
= C\, \exp{\left(-\frac{1}{2}<c,Ac>\right)} \int_{R^n} \exp{\left[-\frac{1}{2} (U_1^2 + \cdots + U_n^2)\right]} \, dU_1 \cdots dU_n, [/tex]
where C is the Jacobian you get by changing variables from y to U.

RGV

Last edited:
Please explain some points:

1)Using X=Y+C,Q will Change this way:
<X,AX>-2<B,X>=<Y+C,A(Y+C)>-2<B,Y+C>
=<Y,AY>+<Y,AC>+<C,AY>+<C,AC>-2<B,Y>-2<B,C>
I noticed that with the last sentence the final form for exponent -0.5Qwill produce
<C,AC>/2 instead of -<C,AC>/2.

2)It seems to me that :
Q= <y,Ay> + <y,Ac> + <c,Ay> + <c,Ac> - 2<b,y> -2<b,c>
= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +<c,Ay> + <y,Ac> - 2<b,y> -2<b,c>
= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +<y,2Ac-2b> -2<b,c> - <y,Ac>
By taking Ac=b we obtain Q= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> - <y,Ac> -2<b,c>

Please explain how you wrote Q = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac>

FBR

Fb.Researcher said:
Please explain some points:

1)Using X=Y+C,Q will Change this way:
<X,AX>-2<B,X>=<Y+C,A(Y+C)>-2<B,Y+C>
=<Y,AY>+<Y,AC>+<C,AY>+<C,AC>-2<B,Y>-2<B,C>
I noticed that with the last sentence the final form for exponent -0.5Qwill produce
<C,AC>/2 instead of -<C,AC>/2.

2)It seems to me that :
Q= <y,Ay> + <y,Ac> + <c,Ay> + <c,Ac> - 2<b,y> -2<b,c>
= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +<c,Ay> + <y,Ac> - 2<b,y> -2<b,c>
= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +<y,2Ac-2b> -2<b,c> - <y,Ac>
By taking Ac=b we obtain Q= <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> - <y,Ac> -2<b,c>

Please explain how you wrote Q = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac>

FBR

You are supposed to know that for real symmetric A we have [itex]<c,Ay> = <Ac,y> = <y,Ac> = <Ay,c>. [/itex] However, you are right in noting that I incorrectly dropped the term 2<b,c>, so we should have [itex] Q = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> +2<y,Ac-b> - 2<b,c> = <y,Ay> + <c,Ac> - 2<b,c>[/itex] if we take [itex] Ac=b[/itex]. In fact, this gives [itex] <c,Ac> - 2<b,c> = -<b,c>, [/itex] so
[tex] \int_{R^n} \exp(-Q/2) \, dx_1 \cdots dx_n = C\, \exp(-<b,c>) \int_{R^n} \exp(-(U_1^2 + \cdots + U_n^2)/2) \, dU_1 \cdots dU_n. [/tex]

RGV

Last edited:

What is the concept of integrating an exponential of a matrix product?

Integrating an exponential of a matrix product involves finding the integral of the exponential function raised to a matrix power. This is a complex mathematical concept that is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why is integrating an exponential of a matrix product important?

Integrating an exponential of a matrix product allows us to solve various mathematical problems that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is a powerful tool in solving differential equations, evaluating certain integrals, and understanding the behavior of dynamic systems.

What are the steps involved in integrating an exponential of a matrix product?

The steps for integrating an exponential of a matrix product include finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, diagonalizing the matrix, substituting the diagonalized matrix in the exponential function, and finally evaluating the integral using standard techniques.

What are some applications of integrating an exponential of a matrix product?

Integrating an exponential of a matrix product has various applications in physics, economics, and engineering. It is used in quantum mechanics to solve the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, in economics to study the behavior of dynamic systems, and in control theory to analyze the stability of control systems.

Are there any limitations to integrating an exponential of a matrix product?

Integrating an exponential of a matrix product can be computationally intensive and may not always have a closed-form solution. It also requires a good understanding of linear algebra and mathematical techniques for evaluating integrals. Additionally, this method may not be applicable to all types of matrices.