Can you integrate sin(sqrt(x)) using a trigonometric substitution?

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, this conversation discusses the steps taken by the individual to integrate the function sin(sqrt(x)). The initial substitution of u=sqrt(x) is made, but the individual gets stuck in using integration by parts and trig substitution. They then propose a new substitution of u/v which leads to a circular function. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of Taylor series or numerical approximation for solving integrals. Another topic brought up is the integration of a circle function and the use of integration by parts and trig substitutions.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I need to know how to integrate this function:
sin(sqrt(x))
I did this:
u = sqrt(x)
du/dx = 1/(2sqrt(x))

S(sin(sqrt(x))dx) = S(sin(u)*dx*du/dx/(2sqrt(x)) = S(Sin(u)/u du)

But then I got stuck: integration by parts won't work, trig substitution is out...

The one thing I did come up with was:
(u/v)' = (u'v - uv')/v^2
S((u/v)') = uv = S((u'v - uv')/v^2)

So I changed
S(sin(u)/u)
to
S(sin(u)*u/u^2 + cos(u)/u^2 - cos(u)/u^2)
= S((sin(u)*u + cos(u))/u^2) - S(cos(u)/u^2)
= cos(u)/u - S(cos(u)/u^2)

But I get the feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree. If I do integration by parts on that integral I'm going to end up with sin(u)/u again! :grumpy:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you need an elementary formula for the integral? Getting, say, a Taylor series for an antiderivative would be fairly straightforward, as would estimating a definite integral with numerical approximation.

[tex] Si(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin t}{t} dt [/tex]

is called SINE INTEGRAL and is not an "elementary" function.

Daniel.

I apologize, I have no desire to write out the latex code...it's much too late for that :yuck:

Attachments

• integration.JPG
    integration.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 405
Well,Alkatran,your initial substitution was good,unfortunately you got lost on the way.

[tex] \int \sin\sqrt{x} \ dx =...?? [/tex]

Make the substitution:
[tex] \sqrt{x}=u [/tex] equivalently:
[tex] x=u^{2} [/tex]

Can u take it from here?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Well,Alkatran,your initial substitution was good,unfortunately you got lost on the way.

[tex] \int \sin\sqrt{x} \ dx =...?? [/tex]

Make the substitution:
[tex] \sqrt{x}=u [/tex] equivalently:
[tex] x=u^{2} [/tex]

Can u take it from here?

Daniel.

I don't see how [tex] x=u^{2} [/tex] helps? There are no x's in the equation. However...

[tex] \int \sin\sqrt{x} \ dx = \int {\sin\sqrt{u^{2}}}/u \ du [/tex]
[tex] \sin\sqrt(u)^{2} = {1 - \cos{2*\sqrt{u}}}/2 [/tex]

But I get the feeling I'm headed for circles again.

We haven't covered integral approximation or taylor series yet so I would have no idea how to do that. However, the initial problem was slightly simpler: It had upper and lower limits (and I believe the answer involved pi).

On another note:
A small question: I was given a question once with the hint: this is the area of a common shape...

Well I realized it was a circle, and did the question without even using integration, but I was just wondering how I would integrate a circle's function (well, top half of a circle's function)?

[tex] x=u^{2} \Rightarrow dx=2u \ du [/tex]

Write the integral in terms of "u".

Daniel.

Maybe what is missing is the idea of Intergation by Parts:

[tex]\int{ysin(y)dy}=-ycos(y) + \int{cos(y)dy}[/tex]

To integrate the circle function (X^2+Y^2 =R^2 in the first quadrant, we solve for Y= [tex]\sqrt{R^2-X^2}[/tex] and then to solve for X=0 to 1, we will require a trigonometric substitution. (This occurs because pi is a transcendental function and can not be obtained from a finite polynomial.)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of integrating trigonometric functions?

Integrating trigonometric functions is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve represented by a trigonometric function. It is also used to solve various physics and engineering problems, such as calculating the work done by a force or the displacement of an object.

2. What is the process of integrating trigonometric functions?

The process of integrating trigonometric functions involves using mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the function and then using the integration rules to find the antiderivative. This antiderivative is then evaluated at the given limits to find the final result.

3. Can all trigonometric functions be integrated?

No, not all trigonometric functions can be integrated. Some functions, such as tangent and cotangent, do not have an elementary antiderivative and require more advanced techniques to integrate.

4. How is integrating trigonometric functions related to differentiation?

The process of integration is the inverse of differentiation, so integrating a trigonometric function is essentially finding the antiderivative of that function. This means that the result of integration can be used to find the original function through differentiation.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating trigonometric functions?

Integrating trigonometric functions has various real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the volume of irregular shapes. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.