Can You Evaluate the Cross Product in Vector Integral Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cross products and integrals. The main question is whether or not it is always true that \left(a\vec{u}\right)\times\vec{v}= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right). The conclusion is that this statement is always true. The conversation also includes a demonstration of an integral involving a cross product and confirms that the integration was done correctly.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For an integral like this am I allowed to evaluate the cross product between the to vectors,

[tex]\vec{u}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]?

If so then,

[tex]\vec{p} = \vec{u}\times\vec{v}[/tex]

and,

[tex]\int f\vec{p} = -3\int t\vec{p} [/tex]

Does this work?

Attachments

• VECTORF.JPG
    VECTORF.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
under what conditions should you think you cannot?

Yes, it is always true that [itex]\left(a\vec{u}\right)\times\vec{v}= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].

(But [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= -a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].)

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, it is always true that [itex]\left(a\vec{u}\right)\times\vec{v}= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].

(But [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= -a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].)

So,

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \int \left(-3t^{3} - 3t\right)dt\hat{i} + \int \left(-6t^{2} + 3t\right)dt\hat{j} + \int \left(6t + 3t^{4} \right)dt\hat{k} [/tex]

then,

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \left(\frac{-3}{4}t^{4} - \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{i} + \left( -2t^{3} + \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{j} + \left( 3t^{2} + \frac{3}{5}t^{5} \right)\hat{k} + C [/tex]

Is this correct?

HallsofIvy said:

what about when a = 1...

may be missing somethig, but I'd say [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex], if you change the order of u & v that's another story

Last edited:
Bump, still looking for a quick check on my answer.

HallsofIvy said:

lanedance said:
what about when a = 1...

may be missing somethig, but I'd say [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex], if you change the order of u & v that's another story
Yes, you are right. For some reason, I was thinking [itex]\vec{u}\times(a\vec{v})= -((a\vec{v})\times\vec{u}= -a(\vec{v}\times\vec{u})[/itex] but now we have to swap u and v back again!

[itex](a\vec{u})\times\vec{v}= \vec{u}\times(a\vec{v})= a(\vec{u}\times\vec{v})[/itex]

Bump, still looking to see if the route I took is the right one.

What part of "yes", in the second response, do you have trouble with?

HallsofIvy said:
What part of "yes", in the second response, do you have trouble with?

I was just curious whether or not I had done the integration correctly, that's all.

jegues said:
So,

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \int \left(-3t^{3} - 3t\right)dt\hat{i} + \int \left(-6t^{2} + 3t\right)dt\hat{j} + \int \left(6t + 3t^{4} \right)dt\hat{k} [/tex]

then,

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \left(\frac{-3}{4}t^{4} - \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{i} + \left( -2t^{3} + \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{j} + \left( 3t^{2} + \frac{3}{5}t^{5} \right)\hat{k} + C [/tex]

Is this correct?

Yep, that's right. Just make sure your C is a constant vector, not a real number constant.

FAQ: Can You Evaluate the Cross Product in Vector Integral Calculations?

1. What is the definition of a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes one or more inputs and outputs a vector, which is a quantity with magnitude and direction. It is typically denoted by f(t), where t is the input variable.

2. How do you integrate a vector function?

Integrating a vector function involves finding the integral of each component of the vector separately. This can be done by treating each component as a separate function and using the integration rules for each.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector function?

A scalar function outputs a single numerical value, while a vector function outputs a vector. This means that a scalar function can be represented by a graph with a single line, while a vector function requires multiple lines to represent each component of the vector.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrating vector functions?

Integrating vector functions is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force, the displacement of an object, or the velocity of an object. It is also used in economics and finance to model stock prices and market trends.

5. Can vector functions be integrated over a closed path?

Yes, vector functions can be integrated over a closed path, also known as a line integral or path integral. This type of integration is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a closed path or the circulation of a vector field.