1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating vector functions

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See figure

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For an integral like this am I allowed to evaluate the cross product between the to vectors,

[tex]\vec{u}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]?

If so then,

[tex]\vec{p} = \vec{u}\times\vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]\int f\vec{p} = -3\int t\vec{p} [/tex]

Does this work?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    under what conditions should you think you cannot?
  4. Aug 1, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

Yes, it is always true that [itex]\left(a\vec{u}\right)\times\vec{v}= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].

(But [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= -a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex].)
  5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \int \left(-3t^{3} - 3t\right)dt\hat{i} + \int \left(-6t^{2} + 3t\right)dt\hat{j} + \int \left(6t + 3t^{4} \right)dt\hat{k} [/tex]

[tex]\int f\vec{p}dt = -3\int t\vec{p}dt = \left(\frac{-3}{4}t^{4} - \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{i} + \left( -2t^{3} + \frac{3}{2}t^{2} \right)\hat{j} + \left( 3t^{2} + \frac{3}{5}t^{5} \right)\hat{k} + C [/tex]

Is this correct?
  6. Aug 2, 2010 #5

Homework Helper

what about when a = 1...

may be missing somethig, but I'd say [itex]\vec{u}\times\left(a\vec{v}\right)= a\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right)[/itex], if you change the order of u & v thats another story
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. Aug 3, 2010 #6
    Bump, still looking for a quick check on my answer.
  8. Aug 3, 2010 #7

Science Advisor

Yes, you are right. For some reason, I was thinking [itex]\vec{u}\times(a\vec{v})= -((a\vec{v})\times\vec{u}= -a(\vec{v}\times\vec{u})[/itex] but now we have to swap u and v back again!

[itex](a\vec{u})\times\vec{v}= \vec{u}\times(a\vec{v})= a(\vec{u}\times\vec{v})[/itex]
  9. Aug 3, 2010 #8
    Bump, still looking to see if the route I took is the right one.
  10. Aug 4, 2010 #9

Science Advisor

What part of "yes", in the second response, do you have trouble with?
  11. Aug 4, 2010 #10
    I was just curious whether or not I had done the integration correctly, that's all.
  12. Aug 4, 2010 #11
    Yep, that's right. Just make sure your C is a constant vector, not a real number constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook