1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating x^3 lnx dx - am i on the right track?

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integrating x^3lnxdx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i let u = lnx

du/dx = 1/x
    xdu = dx
    x=e^u
    substituting that, i got e^(4u)udu

then i let v = 4u
    dv/du = 4
    1/4du = dv

substituting that, i got 1/4integral e^v vdv

I haven't gone beyond that step yet. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I currently am could tell me if I am on the right track or let me know at what point I went wrong. Responses very much appreciated!

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    You're fine up to this point! Using u-substitution won't do anything helpful for you at this point; you are basically left trying to integrate the same problem. I would suggest integration by parts!

4. May 27, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello drjohnsonn. Welcome to PF !

As scurty suggested, try integration by parts.

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    Thanks! I am quite a novice as of now and have not quite gotten to that point yet. I suppose I'll have to wait a bit before I finish working on this. But is the reason for having to integrate by parts that there is no general product integration rule?

6. May 27, 2012 #5
    Well, I immediately think integration by parts when I see a term that can be reduced by differentiating (u in this case) and a term that doesn't get "more complicated" by anti-differentiating (##e^{4u}## in this case). It's tough to explain, someone else might have a better general rule for when to integrate by parts.

Also, for what it's worth, you could have integrated by parts right from the start with no u-substitution. ##u = ln(x), \quad dv = x^3 \ dx##

7. May 27, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

In fact integration by parts is based upon the product rule for differentiation.

8. May 28, 2012 #7
    Thanks for the advice!

9. May 28, 2012 #8
    Am I accurate in doing this:
    u = lnx dv=x^3dx
    du = 1/xdx v = Sx^3dx = x^4/4

and since Sudv = uv - Svdu

Sx^3lnxdx = 1/4(x^4)lnx - 1/4Sx^3dx = 1/4x^4lnx - 1/16x^4 + C

if i skipped something, point it out. i kind of ended up looking at the answer before i finished and hope that didn't fool me into incorrectly solving it

10. May 28, 2012 #9
    Looks good :smile:

11. May 28, 2012 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's an easy way to check: Differentiate. Differentiation is oftentimes far easier than integration (and the only time it isn't is when both are easy). Upon differentiation you should recover the original equation.

It's always a good idea to double check your work.

12. May 28, 2012 #11
    wootwoot

13. May 28, 2012 #12
    Yes. I think you are on the right track. Now, you can do integration by parts again to get the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook