1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration and initial velocity

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

With what initial velocity must an object be thrown upward (from ground level) to reach a maximum height of 550feet.

Use a(t)= -32ft/sec2 as the acceleration due to gravity. (neglect air resistance)

2. Relevant equations

Use integration

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that U should first start off by integrating the acceleration in order to get velocity, but I wind up getting:

32x+C= v(t)

I'm not sure how to deal wit the problem from here, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is x?

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    Im pretty sure that x is suppose to be time, because that is the only thing that relates acceleration and velocity

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought t was time as well. So lesson one is to be a bit more precise in your notation.

a(t) = -32 ft/s2, then
    [tex]v(t) = \int a(t) \, dt[/tex]
    where t is the variable. Integrating a constant over t gives you the constant times t so
    v(t)[ft/s] = - 32 t + C

Note the minus sign, which is carried over from a(t) < 0.
    C is an integration constant which you need to determine. What condition will you use for this?
    How can you see in the v(t) graph or formula that the highest point is reached?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?