Optimizing Driving Routes with Cell Phone Tower Range Constraints

In summary: For 3, I'm still not sure what to do.In summary, a car is traveling on a straight road with cities A, B, C, and D along the route. The distance between A and D is 60 miles, with cell phone towers in each city with a range of 10 miles in all directions. The velocity of the car is given by a piecewise function of time in hours and miles per hour. Based on the given information, the car takes 2+√2 hours to make the trip, spends 1/√3 hours within range of city A, and the same amount of time within range of city B. It is possible to maintain the same percentage of time within range of each
sjnt

Homework Statement

A car is traveling on a straight road on a stretch that contains cities A, B, C and D.

The distance from city A to city D is 60 miles and the cities are evenly placed along the route. There are cell phone towers in each city. Each tower has a range of 10 miles in all directions.

Suppose that the velocity of the car is given by
r(t)= 60t, t< or equal to 1
120-60t, t> or equal to 1
*where t is measured in hours and r(t) in mph.

Homework Equations

1. Suppose that at t=0 the car is at City A. how long does it take the car to make the trip?

2. For how long is the car within range of the station in City A? City B?

3. Do you think it is possible to start driving from city A, stop driving at city D, and maintain the same percentage of time within range of each location? If so, how?

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem isn't integrating but finding the equations to set up for integration.

1. This is what I set up to integrate. Is this right?
60=∫120-60t dt for t=0 and t=x
60=(120x-30x²)-0
30x²-120x+60=0
After using the quadratic formula I got,
x=2+√2 hours

2. This is the integral I set up for city A
∫60t dt for t=0 to t=x
After some integration and simplification I got,
x=1/√3 hours in city A
Would I do the same for city B?

3. I suppose you could tell by setting up a graph. But what do I graph? And what am I suppose to look for?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sjnt said:
1. This is what I set up to integrate. Is this right?
60=∫120-60t dt for t=0 and t=x

The question specified that r can assume two values.
60t for t<1, 120-60t for t>1.
You're only using one of them here.

R.

well, how I got that was
∫60t dt for t=x and t=0
∫60t dt, for t=1 and t=0 + ∫(120-60t) dt, t>1, for t=x and t=1
60=(120x-30x²)-0
eventually, 30x²-120x+60=0.
I think that should be correct.
Now I'm confused as to whether 2+√2 would be the correct answer (by just solving for x) as opposed to finding D(x)=60 (the distance from A to D)?

Bump, this is urgent.
I finished 1. For 2, would I use D(x)=10 for city A in 30x²-120x+60 and D(x)=20 for city B?

1. What is an integration application?

An integration application is a software tool that allows different systems or applications to communicate and share data with each other. It acts as a mediator between different systems, enabling them to work together seamlessly.

2. How does an integration application work?

An integration application typically uses APIs, web services, or custom code to connect different systems and transfer data between them. It can also have features like data mapping, transformation, and error handling to ensure smooth integration.

3. What are the benefits of using an integration application?

Using an integration application can save time and resources by automating data transfer between systems. It also improves data accuracy and consistency by eliminating manual data entry. Additionally, it can help businesses make better decisions by providing a holistic view of their data.

4. What types of applications can be integrated using an integration application?

An integration application can be used to integrate various types of applications, including CRM, ERP, e-commerce, marketing automation, and project management tools. It can also integrate custom-built applications and legacy systems.

5. Is it necessary to have technical knowledge to use an integration application?

While having some technical knowledge can be helpful, most integration applications are designed to be user-friendly and require minimal coding. Many also offer drag-and-drop interfaces and pre-built connectors, making it easy for non-technical users to integrate applications.