Integration around a contour

• Thread starter Math Monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the formula ∫_0^∞ (s^a-1)/(s-1) ds = -pi cot (a pi) can be calculated by considering an analytical branch of function f(z) = z^(a-1) / (z-1) and integrating along a contour consisting of a circle with radius R centered at (0,0), a branch cut running from (0,0) to R above and below the x-axis, and circular contours around the singularities (0,0) and (1,0) when R→∞. The integral can be simplified using the Residue Theorem, with the value of the root at z=1 changing by e^{2πi
Math Monster
Homework Statement

Show that the formula:
∫_0^∞ (s^a-1)/(s-1) ds = -pi cot (a pi)
may be calculated by considering an analytical branch of function:
f(z) = z^(a-1) / (z-1)
and integrating along a contour consisting of:
a) a circle radius R, centred at (0,0)
b) with a branch cut running from (0,0) to R above and below the x-axis
c) circular contours around singularity (0,0) and (1,0)
when R→∞

I have attempted to substitute s=Re^i alpha z, and I believe the integral around (a) → 0 as R → infinity but i can't really make sense of it all!

Please help and thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Monster said:
Homework Statement

Show that the formula:
∫_0^∞ (s^a-1)/(s-1) ds = -pi cot (a pi)
may be calculated by considering an analytical branch of function:
f(z) = z^(a-1) / (z-1)
and integrating along a contour consisting of:
a) a circle radius R, centred at (0,0)
b) with a branch cut running from (0,0) to R above and below the x-axis
c) circular contours around singularity (0,0) and (1,0)
when R→∞

I have attempted to substitute s=Re^i alpha z, and I believe the integral around (a) → 0 as R → infinity but i can't really make sense of it all!

Please help and thanks in advance!

Is it:

[tex]\text{P.V}\int_0^{\infty}\frac{s^{a-1}}{s-1}ds,\quad 0<a<1[/tex]

If so, then just work a simple one first: Let [itex]a=1/2[/itex] and consider

[tex]\text{P.V}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)}ds[/tex]

That's 8 integrals right? Can you set up some of them?

NB I tried to write this as Latex but not sure how to transfer it! If you can give me a hint I will try to repost so that it is easier to read!

I think so...

This has singularies at s=0 and s=1, same as my example.

Start with $s = e^{iz}$ and so $ds = ize^{iz} dz$
I've left it in terms of s for ease of typing, but realize that this transformation should be made (if I'm right that is!).

If i break my contour up into
$C_{R2} : \\*
\int^{-R}_{R} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds $

$C_{1}: \\*
\int^{1+ε}_{R} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*
NB: y has no relevance, i.e. z=x, and so we integrate over x $

$C_{r_1}: \\*
\int_{1+ε}^{1-e} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*
Thinking maybe this should be integrated 0:pi?

$C_{3}: \\*
\int_{1-ε}^{0+ε} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*

$C_{r_2}: \\*
\int_{0}^{2 pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*
Not sure about this one? I think maybe we do over dz? And the circle should have radius ε?

$C_{4}: \\*
\int^{1-ε}_{0+ε} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*

$C_{r_{-1}}: \\*
\int^{1+ε}_{1-e} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*
Following from C_{4} I'm thinking maybe this should also be integrated 0:pi?

$C_{1}: \\*
\int_{1+ε}^{R} \frac{1}{\sqrt{s}(s-1)} ds \\*

Then the integral of the contour is the sum of these 8.

Am I anywhere near the right lines?

Also, just wanted to confirm that yes, 0<a<1.

Many thanks

Use [itex] and [/itex], or [tex] if you want it to be in the centre of the screen, on its own line. Using [itex], I suggest you use \displaystyle.

You need to enclose math code in [itex]\text{[tex]}[/itex] and [itex]\text{[/tex]}[/itex]. Tell you what, If I start with the leg from 0 to 1 above the real axis, go to infinity, around the circle [itex]z=Re^{it}[/itex], and then over the leg below the real axis back to the origin, then around it via [itex]z=\rho e^{it}[/itex], I get by the Residue Theorem:

[tex]\text{P.V.}\int_0^1 f(z)dz-\pi i r_a+\text{P.V} \int_1^{\infty} f(z)dz+\mathop\int\limits_R f(z)dz+\text{P.V} \int_{\infty}^1 (-f(z))dz-\pi i r_b+\text{P.V}\int_1^0 (-f(z))dz+\mathop\int\limits_{\rho} f(z)dz=0[/tex]

Note the contours over the indentaitons around the pole at 1 is just -pi i times it's residue. Just for now, say the contour over the big and little circle is zero. Justify that for the purist later. Also, when we go around the branch point and onto the leg below the real axis, the value of the root changes by [itex]e^{2\pi i/2}[/itex]. That gives the negatives along those contours. If it was [itex]\sqrt[3]{z}[/itex], and we go around once, it would change by [itex]e^{2\pi i/3}[/itex] and so forth. Keep that in mind when you consider [itex]a=2/3[/itex]. Combine all those principal values into one cus' it's the same thing and then write:

[tex]2\;\text{P.V.}\int_0^{\infty} f(z)dz-\pi i(r_a+r_b)=0[/tex]

So
[tex]\text{Res} (\frac{1}{\sqrt{z}(z-1)},1)=\pm 1[/tex]

corresponding to the two roots of 1 right? Get that one straight, then adapt it to [itex]a=2/3[/itex]. That one is not zero.

Last edited:

1. What is integration around a contour?

Integration around a contour is a method used in complex analysis to evaluate definite integrals of complex functions over a given closed curve in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the curve into smaller segments and evaluating the integral over each segment.

2. What is the purpose of integration around a contour?

The purpose of integration around a contour is to simplify the calculation of definite integrals of complex functions. By choosing a suitable contour, the integral can be reduced to a sum of easier-to-evaluate integrals, making the process more efficient.

3. How is the contour chosen for integration?

The contour is chosen based on the properties of the function being integrated. It should enclose all the singularities of the function, and may also include points where the function is continuous and has a non-zero value. The contour should also be simple enough to allow for easy evaluation of the integral.

4. Can integration around a contour be used for any type of function?

No, integration around a contour is primarily used for complex functions. It is particularly useful for functions with poles or branch points, as it allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

5. What are some applications of integration around a contour?

Integration around a contour is used in various fields of science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in solving boundary value problems, calculating residues of functions, and evaluating improper integrals.