1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration by parts homework help

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    [tex]\int_0^{infinity} \ e^{-s*t}*t*cos(t) dt[/tex]

I tried integration by parts with u=t*cost and dv=e^(-s*t) but that didn't get anywhere.

I then tried: [tex]\L{t^n*g(t)}=(-1)^n d/ds[\int_0^{infinity} \ e^{-s*t}*cos(t) dt[/tex] but again nothing was working.

This is a Laplace Transformation where ft=t cos(t)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Integral

Do you mean that you tried applying the rule

[tex]\mathcal{L}\{t^n g(t)\}=(-1)^n\frac{d^n}{ds^n}\mathcal{L}\{g(t)\}[/tex]

If so, that should be fairly easy, provided that you know what the Laplace transform of [itex]\cos(t)[/itex] is.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3

The problem was I get cos(t)/(s*e^(-st)) which is in determinant and using l'hopitals rule didn't help.

Also, the integral after separation by parts is now e time sin then you get an in determinant form with sin.

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How on Earth are you getting something that depends on [itex]t[/itex] after integrating over [itex]t[/itex]? :confused:

Show your work so I can see where you are going wrong.

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5

Work

Both methods attempted

Never mind the image won't load.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook