Recognizing Integration: Simplifying Equations for Easier Integration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of a given equation using integration by recognition. The original equation is provided in the form of an image, and after using recognition, the resulting equation is also given in image form. The person is wondering if they can multiply both sides of the equation by the original equation to make the integration easier, but it is determined that it would not be helpful. The conversation then shifts to discussing different possible substitutions for the integral, such as using x=tan(u) or x=sinh(u). There is also a discussion about different methods of integration, such as integration by parts. Finally, the conversation comes back to the original problem, and it is mentioned that the solution is actually quite simple and involves
VooDoo
I need to find the integral of the following using integration by recognition:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3559/3og7.jpg

Now I have the following equation (after using recognition) which I am 100% sure is correct:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/230/2bs9.jpg

I was wondering can I multiply both sides by the following
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3559/3og7.jpg .

, is it mathematically correct? Because it would make integrating the L.H.S soo much easier and then I can just dived the R.H.S across.

If not what do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can multiply by it, but a product of integrals is not the integral of the product so I don't think it would help you much. The easiest way to do that integral is probably to make a substitution x=tan(u), but it's not the easiest integral, letting x=sinh(u) might be easier, but I'm not used to making hyperbolic function substitutions so I canb't judge that one.

d_leet said:
You can multiply by it, but a product of integrals is not the integral of the product so I don't think it would help you much. The easiest way to do that integral is probably to make a substitution x=tan(u), but it's not the easiest integral, letting x=sinh(u) might be easier, but I'm not used to making hyperbolic function substitutions so I canb't judge that one.
I did it with a much simpler example and realized that you cannot do what I was trying to do.

I am not too sure on x=sinh(u) and how to substitute it (I am a bit lost) so you are saying replace all the x's with sinh(u) but then I end up with terms such as sqroot(sinh(u)^2+1)

here is the full question if anyone wants:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3138/untitled5vf8.jpg

Ummm... Why are you integrating when you're given f and trying to find f'? Hmm.. I don't want to work out this problem but I have a feeling it's going to work out rather nicely. Is there a word missing before hence?

If you are doing things by recognition, then go to a standard table of integrals & set the correct variables to suit the table form.

Your form is there - I've just checked... :-)

Gives you a rather long, nasty-looking result...

desA

Try to find the derivative first, then the integral should be relatively easy.

I have nearly tried everything that I have learnt, integration by parts etc.
Now this seems to get me somewhere, but I know there is something wrong with it (i checked some values on my calc). Does anyone know?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 988
When you do substitution, you need to change dx to du. (of course, you need to include dx in the first place)

VooDoo said:
I have nearly tried everything that I have learnt, integration by parts etc.
Now this seems to get me somewhere, but I know there is something wrong with it (i checked some values on my calc). Does anyone know?

You didn't somehow change dx into du, so you didn't substitute correctly. Also, where did this new problem come from? Did you figure out the last one?

d_leet said:
You didn't somehow change dx into du, so you didn't substitute correctly. Also, where did this new problem come from? Did you figure out the last one?
Its the same problem. :smile:
I differentiated this equation f(x):
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3138/untitled5vf8.jpg

Then used integration by recognition to get (the sinh's ended up cancelling):
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/230/2bs9.jpg

Now if I can integrate the first term in the above equation I can find the integral of (x^2 + 1)^.5

if I want to change dx into du I end up with 1/2x du in my equation with u's what happens with the 1/2x?

OK I finally worked this out, and this is a very simple problem. Differentiate f(x), simplify it as much as possible and the integral you want should be obvious.

What is integration by recognition?

Integration by recognition is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals by recognizing certain patterns and using specific integration rules to simplify the problem.

How does integration by recognition work?

Integration by recognition involves identifying specific patterns in the integrand, such as power functions, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions, and using corresponding integration rules to simplify the integral. This can make the integration process faster and easier.

What are some common integration patterns that can be recognized?

Some common integration patterns include power functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and rational functions. These patterns can be recognized by their distinct forms and the use of specific integration rules can be applied to solve the integral.

Why is integration by recognition useful?

Integration by recognition can be useful because it can make the integration process faster and easier. By recognizing patterns and applying corresponding integration rules, complex integrals can be simplified and solved more efficiently. This can be especially helpful when dealing with difficult or time-consuming integrals.

When should integration by recognition be used?

Integration by recognition can be used when solving integrals that involve specific patterns, such as power functions, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions. It can also be used when the integrand can be simplified using certain algebraic manipulations. However, in some cases, other integration techniques may be more appropriate, so it is important to consider the problem at hand before deciding to use integration by recognition.