Integration from first principles

• Thread starter bigevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the problem of integrating x^3 cos x from first principles. This involves dividing the area under the curve from a to b into n strips and then summing up the areas (where the area is x.f(x)). The solution also includes using the Taylor series of cos x and the sum of powers from 1 to n. The final solution involves finding the value of Sn and substituting values from 1 to n before grouping them into a simplified equation. The question of whether Delta x should equal (b-a)/n instead of just b/n is also raised, as well as the possibility of using integration by parts.
bigevil
Please help me check my solution. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Homework Statement

Integrate x^3 cos x from first principles.

Homework Equations

Taylor series of cos x
Sum of powers from 1 to n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am dividing the area under the curve from a to b into n strips and then summing up the areas (where the area is x.f(x)). Then express this in terms of n and let n tend to infinity.

Let Sn = (Sigma) f(x') (delta)x
where
f(x) = x^3 cos x
f(x) = x^3 - x^5/2! + x^7/4!

x' = j . (delta)x

Insert values from 1 to n, and then group

Sn = [(delta)x]^4 . (1^3 + 2^3... + n^3)
+ [(delta)x]^6 . (1/2!) . (1^5 + 2^5 ... + n^5)
+ [(delta)x]^8 . (1/4!) . (1^7 + 2^7 ... + n^7)

Delta x = b / n, where b is the upper limit for integration

which yields 1/4 b^4 + 1/12 b^6...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what "first principles" means, but shouldn't Delta x = (b-a)/n instead of just b/n?

Also you could do it with integration by parts, but I don't know if they want that or not.

FAQ: Integration from first principles

1. What is integration from first principles?

Integration from first principles, also known as integration by the method of exhaustion, is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve by breaking it down into smaller and smaller rectangles. It involves taking the limit of the sum of these rectangles as the width of the rectangles approaches 0.

2. Why is integration from first principles important?

Integration from first principles is important because it is the foundation of integral calculus and is used to solve a wide range of real-world problems. It allows for the calculation of areas, volumes, and rates of change, among other things.

3. How is integration from first principles different from other methods of integration?

Integration from first principles is different from other methods of integration, such as the definite and indefinite integrals, in that it does not require any prior knowledge of the function or its antiderivative. It is a more intuitive and visual approach to finding the area under a curve.

4. What are the steps involved in integration from first principles?

The steps involved in integration from first principles are:

1. Divide the area under the curve into smaller rectangles.
  2. Find the width and height of each rectangle.
  3. Calculate the area of each rectangle.
  4. Add up the areas of all the rectangles.
  5. Take the limit of this sum as the width of the rectangles approaches 0.

5. What are the limitations of integration from first principles?

Integration from first principles can be a time-consuming and tedious process, especially for more complex curves. It also requires a good understanding of limits and may not always be possible to find an exact solution. In these cases, other methods of integration may be more efficient and accurate.