Integration Help: Solving \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x}-1}} dx with u-Substitution

• Thread starter XtremePhysX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I tried u=e^xI tried u=e^xAnd what did you get?? Please provide a complete attempt.I think I got it :)
XtremePhysX

Homework Statement

Find:

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x}-1}} dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried u=e^x

Physics news on Phys.org
XtremePhysX said:
I tried u=e^x

And what did you get?? Please provide a complete attempt.

I think I got it :)

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{e^{2x}-1}} \\ $Let u^2 = e^{2x}-1 $ \\ \therefore 2u du=2e^{2x}dx \\ udu = e^{2x}dx \\ $Now $u^2+1=e^{2x} $ from the substitution so$\\ I=\int \frac{udu}{1+u^2} \cdot \frac{1}{u} \\ = \int \frac{du}{1+u^2} \\= \tan^{-1}(\sqrt{e^{2x}-1})+C[/tex]

Micromass, can you give me some high school level or 1st year uni integrals to practice, I did all the ones in my exercise book, I need some challenging integrals, please :)

XtremePhysX said:
I think I got it :)

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{e^{2x}-1}} \\ $Let u^2 = e^{2x}-1 $ \\ \therefore 2u du=2e^{2x}dx \\ udu = e^{2x}dx \\ $Now $u^2+1=e^{2x} $ from the substitution so$\\ I=\int \frac{udu}{1+u^2} \cdot \frac{1}{u} \\ = \int \frac{du}{1+u^2} \\= \tan^{-1}(\sqrt{e^{2x}-1})+C[/tex]

Looks good!

Micromass, can you give me some high school level or 1 year uni integrals to practice, I did all the ones in my exercise book, I need some challenging integrals, please :)

Sure! I'll look for some challenging ones!
If you want to get a good response, you can always make a thread in https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109 asking for some challenging integrals!

Let me look for some goodies.

Try this one:
[tex]
\int{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 + x^4}}}
[/tex]

Here are some nice ones:

[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int e^{\sin(x)}\frac{x\cos^3(x)-\sin(x)}{\cos^2(x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+\sin(x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{5x^4+1}{(x^5+x^+1)^2}dx[/tex]

Thank you a lot, I will try my best, and then post my solutions here so you guys can check if they are right or wrong.

micromass said:
Here are some nice ones:

(1)[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx[/tex]

(2)[tex]\int e^{\sin(x)}\frac{x\cos^3(x)-\sin(x)}{\cos^2(x)}dx[/tex]

(3)[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+\sin(x)}dx[/tex]

(4)[tex]\int \frac{5x^4+1}{(x^5+x^+1)^2}dx[/tex]

(1)Answer for the first 1: [tex]\frac{log(sex(x)(sin(x)+cos(x))(\sqrt{2}\sqrt{tan(x)}+1)))}{2\sqrt{2}}+C[/tex] The working was very tedious, very hard integral.
(2) Hard :(
(3) Using a Weierstrass substitution, the answer is: [tex]-\frac{1}{t+1}+C[/tex]
(4) Simple U-Substitution, let u=x^5+x^+1

I couldn't show full working because I'm very tired now :(

Dickfore said:
Try this one:
[tex]
\int{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 + x^4}}}
[/tex]

Tried a lot with this one, but it is impossible !
Please show me a short simple way of doing it.

XtremePhysX said:
Tried a lot with this one, but it is impossible !
Please show me a short simple way of doing it.

I don't think that his integral even has an elementary solution... Maybe he made a typo??

What about this one:

[tex]\int \frac{1-4x^5}{(x^5-x+1)^2}dx[/tex]

This has a very easy integral and it's obvious once you see it. But it's pretty hard to find.

micromass said:
I don't think that his integral even has an elementary solution... Maybe he made a typo??

What about this one:

[tex]\int \frac{1-4x^5}{(x^5-x+1)^2}dx[/tex]

This has a very easy integral and it's obvious once you see it. But it's pretty hard to find.

So how do you do this integral? It looks easy but substitutions aren't working :$

XtremePhysX said:
So how do you do this integral? It looks easy but substitutions aren't working :$

What substitutions did you try?

Substitutions won't help you. Think about the quotient rules for derivatives.

micromass, I can see the solution because it fits the pattern of the quotient rule but I do not see any way of deriving it using normal integration rules. Partial fractions does not work, substitution is a dead end, integration by parts requires you to integrate an impossible function (or its just me who is not cunning enough to see how to integrate by parts correctly.) Are you aware of any such method?

Related to Integration Help: Solving \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x}-1}} dx with u-Substitution

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or components into a unified whole. In science, integration refers to the incorporation of new knowledge or data into existing theories or models. It is important because it allows us to better understand and explain complex systems and phenomena.

2. How is integration used in scientific research?

Integration is used in scientific research to combine multiple sources of data or information in order to gain a more complete understanding of a particular topic or problem. This can involve merging data from different experiments, incorporating new theories into existing models, or combining different scientific disciplines to address a complex issue.

3. What are the benefits of using integration in science?

The benefits of using integration in science include a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems, the ability to make more accurate predictions and explanations, and the potential for new discoveries and innovations. It also allows scientists to build upon existing knowledge and theories, rather than starting from scratch with each new study.

4. What challenges are associated with integration in science?

One major challenge of integration in science is the potential for conflicting data or theories. This can lead to difficulties in combining or reconciling different sources of information. Additionally, the process of integration can be time-consuming and require a deep understanding of multiple disciplines.

5. How can integration be used to address real-world problems?

Integration can be used to address real-world problems by bringing together different perspectives, expertise, and data to find solutions. By combining knowledge from various fields, scientists can develop a more holistic understanding of complex issues and develop more effective strategies for solving them.