1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Help - Which Method?

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    Hello,

i'm having some trouble identifying the correct method to approach a problem. I don't have any working to show, so i'll explain why I think the methods i've considered are not correct.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex] the following functions.

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the method of changing the variable is not suitable here because I can't see a link between the derivative of the denominator and the numerator.

Similarly I don't think it is possible to use the method that identifies the numerator as the derivative of the denominator allowing you to say the integral is equal to ln|f(x)| + c

I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

Thank you,

BOAS

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the substitution u=3-x.

ehild

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    I'm struggling to make this work.

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx[/itex]

Let [itex] u \equiv (3 - x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = -1[/itex]

[itex] ... du \equiv ... -1dx[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx = -x \int \frac{du}{u^{7}}[/itex]

(that seems wrong to me, I don't think we've ever been told it's ok to bring an x outside the integral sign)

I get;

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx = \frac{x}{6(3-x)^6} + c[/itex]

5. Feb 4, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You can't just pull out the x like you did. You have to replace the x in the numerator with x=3-u and leave it under the integral sign.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #5
    The item in red is wrong . You need to express 'x' present in the Nr also in terms of 'u' .After the substitution ,you should have ##\int \frac{u-3}{u^7} du##

7. Feb 4, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Others have suggested a change of variables, but if you do straight integration by parts you can bypass that: just set ##u = x, \: dv = dx/(3-x)^7 = (3-x)^{-7} \, dx##.

8. Feb 4, 2014 #7

statdad

Homework Helper

Think again about your substitution: if [itex] u = 3 -x [/itex] then [itex] x = 3 - u [/itex]. How will that help your integrand

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted