How to Evaluate ∫ sec^2(x)/√(tanx) Using U-Substitution?

In summary, integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve, which is useful for solving problems related to motion, volume, and other real-world applications. It is important because it allows for the solving of real-world problems involving continuous change and has various methods such as basic rules, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. To improve integration skills, practice and understanding of basic rules and limits is recommended. Integration can also be applied in other fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.
lmm5arual

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral: sec^2(x)/√(tanx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried this, I got -csc/(2/3)(secxtanx)^(3/2)+C

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not correct. Can you show me the steps of how you did this?

Yup, that doesn't sound right.

Be careful when you're picking u for a u-substitution...

Related to How to Evaluate ∫ sec^2(x)/√(tanx) Using U-Substitution?

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve, which can be used to solve problems related to motion, volume, and other real-world applications.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve continuous change. For example, it can be used to find the distance traveled by an object, the volume of a shape, or the work done by a force.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The main methods of integration include the use of basic integration rules, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These methods can be used to solve different types of integrals depending on the complexity of the function.

4. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to practice solving different types of integrals and familiarize yourself with the basic integration rules. It is also helpful to understand the concept of limits and how they relate to integration.

5. Can integration be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, integration can be used in other fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even biology. It is a powerful tool for solving problems that involve continuous change and can be applied in various real-world scenarios.