Integration of a function with it's derivative.

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help with an integral and the use of integration by parts. The person attempted to use the standard formula but is unsure if it is correct. They are looking for clarification and any additional help. The suggested solution is to use integration by substitution.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

Please help me by pointing me in the right direction for this integral :

∫ t^3 * (t^2 + 1)^0.5 dt

Homework Equations

i used the standard formula of integration by parts on this.

http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/integration/byparts/img9.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

here is what is did :
1/2∫ 2t * t^2 * (t^2 + 1)^0.5 dt
1/2{ [t^2 * (t^2 + 1)^1.5 * 2/3] - [∫ 2t * (t^2 + 1)^1.5 * 2/3 dt ]}

i highly doubt it is correct, i think i used the formula wrongly.

Can anyone point out my mistake or just provide me with any other sort of help, it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The title of your thread is "Integration of a function with it's derivative". The integral can be written as

[tex]\int{t^3(t^2+1)^{0.5} dt}=0.5\int{((t^2+1)-1)(t^2+1)^{0.5} (2tdt)}[/tex] .

Apply "integration by substitution".

[tex]\int{f(g(x))g'(x)dx}=\int{f(g)dg}[/tex]

ehild

Related to Integration of a function with it's derivative.

What is the purpose of integrating a function with its derivative?

The purpose of integrating a function with its derivative is to find the original function that was differentiated. This allows us to solve for the original function and understand its behavior and properties.

What is the relationship between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. This means that integrating a function with its derivative will give us the original function, and differentiating the original function will give us the derivative.

How do you integrate a function with its derivative?

To integrate a function with its derivative, use the reverse power rule, which states that if a function is the derivative of another function, then the integral of the function is the original function plus a constant.

What are the different techniques for integrating a function with its derivative?

There are several techniques for integrating a function with its derivative, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities.

What is the importance of integrating a function with its derivative in real-life applications?

The integration of a function with its derivative is crucial in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to model and analyze various systems and phenomena and make predictions based on the behavior of the original function.