Integration of functions mapping into a vector space

In summary: I think you would need to use a norm in order to apply the definition of an integrable function to a vector space that is not normed. For example, the inequality\left|\int fd\mu\right|\leq \int |f|d\muuses the norm on the Banach space. I don't think that you can say thatd\left(\int fd\mu,\int gd\mu\right)\leq \int d(f,g)d\muin spaces which are not normed. At least I see no way to fix the original proof (but maybe that's me).
winterfors
Given a measurable function [itex]f[/itex] that is not real- or complex valued, but that maps into some vector space, what are the necessary conditions for it to be integrable?

I've looked through over 20 books on integration and measure theory, but they all only deal with integration of real (or sometimes also complex) valued functions!

Can anyone point me to a reference for integration of the more general class of functions mapping onto vector spaces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell me why you need this?? (I want some context)

Furthermore, what sigma-algebra is on the vector space??
How is the integral defined?

The context is that I have a function
[tex]f:\Gamma \to {\rm K}[/tex]
where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is a set of probability measures all defined on the same sigma-algebra [itex]\Sigma[/itex], and [itex]{\rm K}[/itex] is some subset of a vector space equipped with a partial ordering.

Now, [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is also a probaiblity space [itex](\Gamma ,{\Sigma _\Gamma },{P_\Gamma })[/itex] and I need to integrate (take the expectation of) [itex]f[/itex] with repsect to [itex]P_\Gamma [/itex]

Well, all this is not really necessary to know for answering the initial question on what are the necessary conditions on [itex]f[/itex] in order for it to be integrable with respect to [itex]P_\Gamma [/itex] but there you go...

The book "Real and functional analysis" by Serge Lang defines integrals of Banach space-valued functions. The definition is essentially same as the one I call the "limit definition" in this post (obviously with the term "real-valued" replaced by "Banach-valued").

I wrote the definitions in the post I linked to before I understood that there's no need to say that the functions are "a.e. real-valued and measurable" right at the start. The definition is supposed to be applied to measurable functions. If a function is "integrable", it's automatically a.e. real-valued (or Banach-valued).

I have only read half a page of Lang's book to confirm that the definition does indeed apply to Banach-valued functions, but I'm going to have to read more. It looks really good.

Edit: Hm, you said "equipped with a partial ordering", but you didn't mention a norm. You will need one to use this definition.

Tack Fredrik,

I've looked briefly at Serge Lang's book and it's along the lines of what I'm looking for. He seems to use the norm on the vector space [itex]K[/itex] the function injects into to define a metric to assure convergence, so maybe it would be sufficient to assume that [itex]K[/itex] is a subset of a metric vector space, rather than a normed one?

Hälsningar,

-Emanuel

winterfors said:
Tack Fredrik,

I've looked briefly at Serge Lang's book and it's along the lines of what I'm looking for. He seems to use the norm on the vector space [itex]K[/itex] the function injects into to define a metric to assure convergence, so maybe it would be sufficient to assume that [itex]K[/itex] is a subset of a metric vector space, rather than a normed one?

Hälsningar,

-Emanuel

I really think you do need a norm. For example, the inequality

[tex]\left|\int fd\mu\right|\leq \int |f|d\mu[/tex]

uses the norm on the Banach space. I don't think that you can say that

[tex]d\left(\int fd\mu,\int gd\mu\right)\leq \int d(f,g)d\mu[/tex]

in spaces which are not normed. At least I see no way to fix the original proof (but maybe that's me).

Related to Integration of functions mapping into a vector space

1. What is the definition of integration of functions mapping into a vector space?

Integration of functions mapping into a vector space refers to the process of finding a function that represents the area under a curve in a vector space. This is done by evaluating the function at different points and taking the limit as the number of points approaches infinity.

2. Why is integration of functions mapping into a vector space important?

Integration of functions mapping into a vector space is important because it allows us to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to understand the behavior of functions and their relationship to vector spaces.

3. What are the different techniques used for integration of functions mapping into a vector space?

Some common techniques used for integration of functions mapping into a vector space include the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques can be applied depending on the complexity of the function being integrated.

4. Can integration of functions mapping into a vector space be applied to multidimensional spaces?

Yes, integration of functions mapping into a vector space can be applied to multidimensional spaces. In this case, the integral is calculated over a region in multi-dimensional space, rather than just a single dimension. This is known as multiple integration or integration over a rectangular region.

5. What are some real-life applications of integration of functions mapping into a vector space?

Integration of functions mapping into a vector space has various applications in real life, such as calculating the area under a curve to find the total distance traveled, determining the displacement of an object, finding the average value of a function, and calculating the work done by a force. It is also used in fields such as economics to calculate consumer surplus and producer surplus.