Finding C from a speed distribution function.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed distribution function of gas particles and how to find the value of C, the most probable speed, and the fraction of particles moving faster than the most probable speed. The solution involves taking the derivative of the function to find the most probable speed and then using the definite integral to calculate the fraction of particles moving faster than the most probable speed. Both C and vo are constants in this function.
Cantspel

Homework Statement

Gas particles of a particular gas have a speed distribution function of

fv = Cv/(v2 +vo2)2

a. Find the value of C

b. Calculate the most probable speed

c. What fractions of the particles are moving faster than the most probable speed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For problem a I don't even know where to begin, I know that C is probably a form of vo otherwise the function could end up being higher 1

I already got problem b by taking the derivative of the function and then setting it equal to 0
which got me

v = vo/√3

For problem c what I believe what I need to do is take the definite integral of f*dv between vo/√3 and infinity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention that vo and C are both constants.

1. What is "C" in the speed distribution function?

"C" represents the speed of light, which is a constant value in physics equal to approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How is "C" related to the speed distribution function?

The speed distribution function, also known as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, is a mathematical model that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. The value of "C" is used in this function to represent the maximum speed that a particle can attain at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of "C" in physics?

"C" plays a crucial role in many areas of physics. It is a fundamental constant that appears in equations related to relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also serves as the speed limit for the transfer of information and is an important component in the famous equation E=mc2.

4. How is "C" measured in experiments?

There are various methods for measuring the speed of light in experiments, such as using lasers, interferometers, or timing the travel of light over a known distance. The most accurate measurement to date has been achieved using a technique called the 'wavelength method', which involves measuring the distance traveled by a beam of light in a vacuum over a certain period of time.

5. Can the value of "C" change?

In classical physics, the value of "C" is considered to be a constant and does not change. However, in certain theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, there are proposals that suggest the speed of light may vary at extremely small scales. This is currently a topic of ongoing research and has not been experimentally confirmed.