Integration of multiple variables

In summary: Ok, yeah. I get you, it's wasn't the 8x instead of the 8y, it was the sign on the 2y. That does cut the odds.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the given solid.
Under the plane x − 2y + z = 8 and above the region bounded by x + y = 1 and x2 + y = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's how I set it up.

[itex]\int^1_0 \int^{1-x^2}_{1-x} (8-x+2y) dydx[/itex]

When I do the math, I get 21/20. I have gone several different routes using a calculator and I keep getting that answer. The software tells me the answer is 29/20.

So am I setting it up wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth, I get 21/20 as well.

Dick said:
For what it's worth, I get 21/20 as well.

Well, I copied and pasted the question directly from the software this time. Stupid software.

ElijahRockers said:
Well, I copied and pasted the question directly from the software this time. Stupid software.

Well, assuming we are right, I doubt the software figured out the answer. Somebody told it what the answer should be. They are to blame.

Hmm I found an error in my work. The anti derivative of 8-x+2y is 8x-xy+y^2.

I had 8x-xy-y^2.

ElijahRockers said:
Hmm I found an error in my work. The anti derivative of 8-x+2y is 8x-xy+y^2.

I had 8x-xy-y^2.

I think it's 8y-xy-y^2. Are you changing your answer? I'm not.

But if x-2y+z=8, then z=8-x+2y dz/dy = 8y -xy +y^2. I haven't gone through the problem, I did a similar one with different numbers and got it right

ElijahRockers said:
But if x-2y+z=8, then z=8-x+2y dz/dy = 8y -xy +y^2. I haven't gone through the problem, I did a similar one with different numbers and got it right

You are integrating z, not differentiating it. I thought you did go through it and got 21/20?? I'm not sure where you are going with this. I think you did it right the first time.

Dick said:
You are integrating z, not differentiating it. I thought you did go through it and got 21/20?? I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Oh yeah, sorry, by dz/dy i mean the anti derivative.

And yes, i got 21/20 when i used 8x-xy-y^2. I noticed my error, but by that time had already gotten the question right with a different set of values.

I posted my error here just incase you were wondering, and to see if, by some bizarre one in a million coincidence, you made the same exact error I did. (not likely, especially considering you are probably much more careful than I am)

ElijahRockers said:
Oh yeah, sorry, by dz/dy i mean the anti derivative.

And yes, i got 21/20 when i used 8x-xy-y^2. I noticed my error, but by that time had already gotten the question right with a different set of values.

I posted my error here just incase you were wondering, and to see if, by some bizarre one in a million coincidence, you made the same exact error I did. (not likely, especially considering you are probably much more careful than I am)

Wow. Apparently I'm not much more careful than you. I made a completely different error. I integrated z=8-x-2y instead of z=8-x+2y and got 21/20. Figured since I got the same as you did, no need to double check. Oooops. Yeah, the odds are pretty low for this to happen.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Wow. Apparently I'm not much more careful than you. I made a completely different error. I integrated z=8-x-2y instead of z=8-x+2y and got 21/20. Figured since I got the same as you did, no need to double check. Oooops. Yeah, the odds are pretty low for this to happen.

...Actually, the odds drop drastically when we consider that you actually didn't make a completely different error, but you made the same exact error I did, completely separately from me. Look at the post where I mentioned my error.

ElijahRockers said:
...Actually, the odds drop drastically when we consider that you actually didn't make a completely different error, but you made the same exact error I did, completely separately from me. Look at the post where I mentioned my error.

Ok, yeah. I get you, it's wasn't the 8x instead of the 8y, it was the sign on the 2y. That does cut the odds.

1. What is the purpose of integrating multiple variables?

The purpose of integrating multiple variables is to calculate the total value of a function over a specified region or volume. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the total value of a variable may be dependent on more than one input.

2. How is integration of multiple variables different from single variable integration?

Integration of multiple variables involves finding the total value of a function over a specified region or volume in multiple dimensions, while single variable integration only considers a single dimension. This means that integration of multiple variables requires more advanced techniques and may result in a higher number of possible solutions.

3. What are the main techniques used for integrating multiple variables?

The main techniques used for integrating multiple variables include double and triple integration, as well as the use of coordinate transformations and change of variables. These techniques allow for the integration of functions with multiple variables and can be applied to various types of functions, such as polar and spherical coordinates.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrating multiple variables?

The integration of multiple variables has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume or surface area of an object, determining the center of mass of a system, and finding the total energy or work done in a physical system. It is also used in economics to calculate the total revenue or profit of a business.

5. How can I improve my skills in integrating multiple variables?

To improve your skills in integrating multiple variables, it is important to have a strong foundation in single variable calculus and be familiar with the basic techniques of integration. Practice is also key, so solving a variety of integration problems and seeking help from resources such as textbooks and online tutorials can aid in improving your skills.