Is My Integral Correct for Finding the Enclosed Area of a Polar Equation?

In summary, the area enclosed by r=2cos(3\theta) is being calculated using the integral (1/2)\int^{2\pi}_{0} (2cos(3\theta))^2 d\theta, but the correct answer is 1\pi and not 2\pi. This is because the curve returns to itself at theta=pi, so the integral goes around the curve twice. Therefore, the integral is incorrect and the correct answer is 1\pi.
celeramo

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by r=2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex])

I'm fairly confident how to do this but for some reason I am getting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rather than 1[tex]\pi[/tex], which the book claims is the answer. There is the possibility the book is wrong, but I want to make sure how to do this.

I have the area=(1/2)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex] (2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex]))^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]

is this integral incorrect for the enclosed area?

Please and thank you very much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
celeramo said:

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by r=2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex])

I'm fairly confident how to do this but for some reason I am getting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rather than 1[tex]\pi[/tex], which the book claims is the answer. There is the possibility the book is wrong, but I want to make sure how to do this.

I have the area=(1/2)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex] (2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex]))^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]

is this integral incorrect for the enclosed area?
No; sketch the curve. Beginning at theta=0, it returns to itself at theta=pi. Hence your integral is going around the curve twice.

Therefore, Unco, your answer to his question "Is this integral incorrect", is "Yes"!

Thanks very much, my mistake

1. What is a polar equation?

A polar equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or shape in polar coordinates, where the position of a point is described using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction.

2. Why is integration used in polar equations?

Integration is used in polar equations to find the area enclosed by a polar curve or the volume of a solid of revolution formed by rotating the polar curve around a line.

3. What is the process for integrating a polar equation?

The process for integrating a polar equation involves converting the polar equation into rectangular form, finding the limits of integration, and then using standard integration techniques to solve for the area or volume.

4. Can all polar equations be integrated?

No, not all polar equations can be integrated. Some polar equations may be too complex to integrate using standard techniques, and may require more advanced mathematical methods.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating polar equations?

Integrating polar equations has various real-life applications, such as calculating the area of a circular swimming pool, determining the volume of a cone-shaped container, or finding the area of a satellite dish.