Integration - Projectile Motion w/ Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of separation of variables in solving differential equations, specifically in the context of motion equations in classical mechanics. The justification for this technique comes from the chain rule, showing that derivatives can be treated as fractions of differentials.
crastinus
I"ve seen several texts that say something like this:

Our equation of motion along x is
dvx/dt = -g(vx/vt)

Integrating this, we obtain equation 178 at this link (pretty near the top; sorry, but I can't figure out how to put the equation here). It's from FitzPatrick's online notes for classical mechanics.

I don't see how he gets to 178.

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that ##\frac{dv}{dt} = av## can be rewritten as ##\frac{dv}{v} = adt##.

I'd learned that we shouldn't think of dx/dt as a quotient at all, and so we can't multiply both sides by dt.

I have seen enough to know that that's wrong, but I don't really understand why. Is this something to do with differentials?

Thanks for the help!

crastinus said:
I'd learned that we shouldn't think of dx/dt as a quotient at all, and so we can't multiply both sides by dt.

I have seen enough to know that that's wrong, but I don't really understand why. Is this something to do with differentials?

Thanks for the help!
This is called separation of variables and its justification comes from the chain rule. It shows that in some cases you can treat a derivative as 'merely' a fraction of differentials.

crastinus said:

Thanks for the help!

Try:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/Differentials.aspx

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is a type of motion in which an object is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity and air resistance. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports such as baseball and football.

2. What factors affect projectile motion with air resistance?

The factors that affect projectile motion with air resistance include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which the object is launched, the mass and shape of the object, and the density and viscosity of the air.

3. How is air resistance calculated in projectile motion?

Air resistance is typically calculated using the drag force equation, which takes into account the density of the air, the velocity of the object, and the object's cross-sectional area and drag coefficient. This equation is often simplified for introductory physics problems.

4. How does air resistance affect the range of a projectile?

Air resistance can significantly reduce the range of a projectile compared to a situation with no air resistance. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down and causing it to fall to the ground sooner.

5. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be completely ignored in projectile motion. It can have a significant effect on the trajectory and range of the object, particularly for objects with large surface areas or low densities. However, for simplicity, air resistance may be neglected in some introductory physics problems.