Integration (Velocity to Displacement or Position)

In summary, the forum rules require that you show some work to get help. You have tried splitting the integral up into smaller integrals, but that didn't seem to work. You then tried integrating the exponential function, but you are unsure of how to integrate it.
kieran1black2
please help me with the integration in the word document.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    16.5 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I realize you may have work in your document, but I can't yet see it. So, if you have work in the document, ignore my lecture below:)

According to the forum rules, you must show some work to get help. What have you tried? Where are you stuck? Etc.?

This is the integration in LaTeX, if anyone else can't see it:

[itex]v = \frac{e^{\frac{t - 1205.525}{-100}}-142000}{30}[/itex]

[itex]s = \int v dt[/itex]

[itex]s = \int \frac{e^{\frac{t - 1205.525}{-100}}-142000}{30} dt[/itex]

Do you know how to integrate exponential functions?

EDIT: I don't know what is up with the LaTeX, but there should be only one expression on each line. So ignore the bit after the second equals sign on the first line. And there shouldn't be an 's' after the fraction on the first line. No idea why it is doing this, there's nothing wrong with the code as I put it in.

Last edited:
First, I would sugest splitting the integral up into as many smaller integrals as possible. HINT:[tex]e^{a+b}=e^ae^b[/tex] Using this relationship, plus splitting the integral up, you should end up with two smaller, easier integrals of known forms.

Last edited:
i have already tried that... it didnt seem to work... could you show it in latex? so i can see what I am doing wrong?

The 1/30 comes can "come out" of the integrand, right? And the subtraction (e to the blah minus 140000) just yields two integrals: Integral[e to the blah dt] minus Integral[142000 dt]. So that leaves the tricky part: Integral[e to the blah]. That exponent can be broken into two fairly simple expressions by going ahead and doing the division by -100... get it?

what i ended up with is

(e^-t/100)/(-30/100) x e^(-1205.525/-100)/t - 142000/30t

that is after integration... is that what you meant?

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse process of differentiation, which is finding the slope of a curve.

Why is integration used in physics?

Integration is used in physics to calculate quantities such as velocity, displacement, and acceleration. In many cases, these quantities are represented by a curve, and integration allows us to find the exact values of these quantities at any given point.

What is the difference between velocity and displacement?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the movement. Displacement, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

How is integration used to find displacement from velocity?

To find displacement from velocity, we use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This theorem states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the difference between the values of the function at the upper and lower limits of the integration.

What are some real-life applications of integration in physics?

Integration is used in physics to analyze motion, calculate work and energy, and determine the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and economics to model and solve various problems.