Integration which possibly involves partial fractions.

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation but is having difficulty. They substituted t = tan x and found that they got a more complicated integral. They then tried partial fractions and found that the answer is easier with A = C = 0.
kirakun

Homework Statement

Well this is part of an integration process, namely:

[tex] \int \frac {sin^2x}{4+3cos^2x}dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

My attempt involved using a u-substitution, namely t = tan x

The Attempt at a Solution

Using t = tan x, [tex] sin^2 x = \frac {t^2}{1+t^2} [/tex] and [tex]cos^2 x = \frac {1}{1+t^2}[/tex]

we have [tex] \int \frac {sin^2x}{4+3cos^2x}dx [/tex]

which becomes

1. [tex]\int \frac {t^2}{(1+t^2)(4+ \frac {3}{1+t^2})} \times \frac {1}{1+t^2} [/tex]

2. [tex] \int \frac {t^2}{(1+t^2)( \frac {4+4t^2+3}{1+t^2})} \times \frac {1}{1+t^2} [/tex]

and finally yields

[tex] \int \frac {t^2}{(7+4t^2)(1+t^2)}dt [/tex]

So i am basically stuck at this point and cannot proceed further.
Maybe i should have used another substitution or I started it wrongly.
I cannot seem to get to the solution though i suspect arctan might be present in the answer.
Please do guide me.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear why you chose t = tan x as your substitution.

It's also not clear how you obtained the integral in t after substituting. You clearly wound up with a more complicated integral using the t substitution. You should show all the steps you took to make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
It's not clear why you chose t = tan x as your substitution.

It's also not clear how you obtained the integral in t after substituting. You clearly wound up with a more complicated integral using the t substitution. You should show all the steps you took to make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

What method do u think would be best to tackle this one? well i chose tan x because with the denominator containing terms squared, i thought i would end up with an arctan case, but the [tex] t^2 [/tex] in the numerator after simplifying makes it harder to achieve the form if not impossible.

Also when t = tan x, [tex] sin^2 x = \frac {t^2}{1+t^2} [/tex] and [tex]cos^2 x = \frac {1}{1+t^2}[/tex]

Upon substituting including the dx i ended up simplifying it like i showed.

I am still trying some other methods...

Last edited:
kirakun said:
[tex] \int \frac {t^2}{(7+4t^2)(1+t^2)}dt [/tex]
Partial fractions, as you suggested. Did you try that?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Partial fractions, as you suggested. Did you try that?

It will be of the form

[tex] \frac {At+B}{1+t^2} + \frac {Ct+D}{7+4t^2} [/tex] right?

Consequently

For the numerator,

[tex]t^2 = (At+B)(7+4t^2) + (Ct+D)(1+t^2)[/tex]

[tex] (4A+C)t^3 + (4B+D) t^2 + (7A+C)t + (7B+D) = t^2[/tex]

Comparing coefficients of t^2 and comparing constants we get the 2 equations respectively;

4B + D = 1 and 7B+D = 0

which gives B = - 1/3 and D = 7/3
A and C being both 0

Thus the partial fraction is

[tex] \frac {7}{3(7+4t^2)} - \frac {1}{3(1+t^2)}[/tex]

But on expanding it does not give t^2 in the numerator, am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
kirakun said:
It will be of the form

[tex] \frac {At+B}{1+t^2} + \frac {Ct+D}{7+4t^2} [/tex] right?
I'll be trying this.
Since your integrand fraction only has t2 terms, no odd powers, the partial fraction expansion must have A = C = 0. (Imagine substituting u = t2 first.)

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Since your integrand fraction only has t2 terms, no odd powers, the partial fraction expansion must have A = C = 0. (Imagine substituting u = t2 first.)

Alright. But it should give the same answer as in my edited post

kirakun said:
[tex] \frac {7}{3(7+4t^2)} - \frac {1}{3(1+t^2)}[/tex]

But on expanding it does not give t^2 in the numerator, am I doing something wrong?
Check that again. It does for me.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Check that again. It does for me.

Oh god yes, i forgot the 9 in the denominator. Well that partial fraction makes the integrand now easier.
I should complete the denominators to the square and use arctan integral?

kirakun said:
Oh god yes, i forgot the 9 in the denominator. Well that partial fraction makes the integrand now easier.
I should complete the denominators to the square and use arctan integral?

Use arctan, yes. No need to complete any squares.

haruspex said:
Use arctan, yes. No need to complete any squares.

Thank you!

1. What is integration involving partial fractions?

Integration involving partial fractions is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. This allows us to integrate each individual fraction separately, making the integration process easier.

2. When is integration involving partial fractions used?

Integration involving partial fractions is typically used when integrating rational functions, which are functions that can be expressed as a ratio of polynomials. It is also used in solving differential equations and evaluating improper integrals.

3. How do you integrate using partial fractions?

To integrate using partial fractions, you must first factor the denominator of the fraction into linear factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the partial fractions and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, you integrate each individual fraction using the power rule.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fractions in integration?

The main benefit of using partial fractions in integration is that it simplifies the integration process. It allows us to break down complex integrals into simpler ones, which are easier to solve. It also helps to solve integrals that cannot be evaluated using other integration techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions in integration?

One limitation of using partial fractions in integration is that it can only be applied to rational functions. It also requires the denominator to be factorable into linear factors. Additionally, the process can become more complicated if the denominator has repeated factors or if the partial fractions cannot be easily solved for the unknown coefficients.