Integration with constant of proportionality

In summary, the conversation discusses two different solutions to a problem involving integration. The first solution involves pulling out a constant before integrating each term separately, while the second solution involves substituting and then integrating. Both methods are correct, but the second method is more efficient. It is important to include an integration constant in the first solution.
GeoMike
This seems easy enough, but now I'm second guessing myself...

Problem:
http://www.mcschell.com/probl.gif

I solved it as follows:
[tex]
\frac{dN}{ds} = k(250-s)[/tex]
[tex]dN = k(250-s) ds[/tex]
[tex]\int dN = \int k(250-s) ds[/tex]
[tex]N = k\int (250-s) ds [/tex]
[tex]N = k(\int 250 ds - \int s ds)[/tex]
[tex]N = k(250s - \frac{s^2}{2}) + C[/tex]

But this is what the solution manual gives:
http://www.mcschell.com/solu.gif

I understand how they worked the problem, (substituting with u = (250 - s) and then integrating), but I didn't think this was the correct way to handle this problem. Why can't you just integrate each term seperately after pulling out the constant k[\b]?
My reasoining was that if you distributed the k before integrating you'd end up with my anser, not the solution guide's...

Thanks,
-GeoMike-

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it both ways. Your way is equivalent to the answer in the textbook (however, you need an integration constant!)

If you expand the answer in the book, you will get k(250s-s2/2+2502/2) +C. However, note that the last term in the bracket is simply a constant, and so your integration constant (D, say) will be equal to C +(2502k)/2.

Last edited:
cristo said:
(however, you need an integration constant!)

ACK! My mistake! Thanks!

-GeoMike-

1. What is integration with constant of proportionality?

Integration with constant of proportionality is a mathematical concept that involves finding the antiderivative of a function with a constant multiplier, also known as the constant of proportionality. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change and growth.

2. How do you solve an integration problem with a constant of proportionality?

To solve an integration problem with a constant of proportionality, you can use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to x^(n+1) / (n+1) + C, where C is the constant of proportionality. You can also use substitution or integration by parts, depending on the complexity of the problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of integration with constant of proportionality?

Integration with constant of proportionality is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model population growth, calculate the work done by a variable force, or estimate the revenue from sales with changing prices.

4. Can the constant of proportionality change in an integration problem?

Yes, the constant of proportionality can change in an integration problem. This usually happens when the function being integrated has multiple terms with different constants of proportionality. In this case, the constants of proportionality can be combined and represented as a single constant in the final solution.

5. Is integration with constant of proportionality the same as integration with a variable constant?

No, integration with constant of proportionality and integration with a variable constant are different concepts. Integration with constant of proportionality involves finding the antiderivative of a function with a fixed constant, while integration with a variable constant involves finding the antiderivative of a function with a variable constant, which can change with the independent variable.