Integrate Trig Functions with Ease

In summary: Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have made my day. In summary, you are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
mbrmbrg
(1)[tex]\int\sin^3{x}\cos^3{x}dx[/tex]
(2)[tex]=\int\sin^3{x}(1-\sin^2{x})\cos{x}dx[/tex]
(3a) let u=sin(x), du=cos(x)dx
(3b)[tex]=\int(u^3-u^5)du[/tex]
(4)[tex]=\frac{u^4}{4} -\frac{u^6}{6} + C[/tex]
(5)[tex]=\frac{1}{4}\sin^4{x} -\frac{1}{6}\sin^6{x} + C[/tex]

If at step (2) I pull off a sin(x) and go from there, I end up with [tex]\frac{1}{6}\cos^6{x} -\frac{1}{4}\cos^4{x} + C[/tex]
I tried to prove that this is equvalent to step (5) by using sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1, but this turned step (5) into [tex]\frac{1}{12} +\frac{3}{4}\cos^4{x} -\frac{1}{6}\cos^6{x} + C[/tex]. And so I was bewildered and befuddled.

Then I decided to plug the original problem into a website's Integrator. And the integrator told me that the answer really is [tex]\frac{1}{192}(-9\cos(2x) +\cos(6x))[/tex].

Now I am just :confused:

Help, please, and be blessed!

(Last little bit of frustration: I typed up this post before I logged in, and even the browser's back button couldn't help me retrieve it. Latex is cool but twice?)

Physics news on Phys.org
So your doing [tex] \int \sin x(\sin^{2} x - \sin^{4} x) dx [/tex]?

That is equaled to [tex] \int(u^{3}-u^{5}) du [/tex]

yes, because what I did was
[tex]\int\sin^3{x}(1-\sin^2{x})(\cos{x})dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int(\sin^3{x}-\sin^5{x})(\cosx)dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int(u^3-u^5)du[/tex]
if u=sinx, du=cosxdx

Last edited:
ok. so what are you having problems with then? [tex] \int \sin x(\sin^{2} x - \sin^{4} x) dx [/tex] is equivalent do what you did. you say you pulled off a [tex] \sin x [/tex]. Did you mean factor it like I did in the integral?

No, I mean that instead of my original step (2), I did this:
[tex]\int(1-\cos^2{x})(\cos^3{x})(\sin{x})dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int(\cos^3{x}-\cos^5{x})(-1)(-\sin{x})[/tex]
let u=cos(x), du=-sin(x), so the integral becomes
[tex]\int(u^3-u^5)(-1)du[/tex]
[tex]=\int(u^5-u^3)du[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{6}\cos^6{x} -\frac{1}{4}\cos^4{x} + C[/tex]

[tex] \int(1-\cos^{2} x)(\cos^{3} x)\sin x dx [/tex]

[tex] \int(\cos^{3} x - \cos^{5}x) \sin x dx [/tex]

[tex] u = \cos x, du = -\sin x [/tex].

[tex] -\int u^{3} - u^{5} du = -(\frac{\cos^{4}x}{4}-\frac{\cos^{6}x}{6}) [/tex]
[tex] \int u^{3} - u^{5}du = (\frac{\cos^{4}x}{4}-\frac{\cos^{6}x}{6}) [/tex]

That's exactly it--
If I set u=sin(x) I seem to get a different answer that if I set u=cos(x).
But why?

They are equivalent because of the constant of integration. The constants are [tex] C_{1}, C_{2} [/tex]

But if I wanted to evaluate the integral between a and b, wouldn't the constants cancel?

The integral should be [tex] \frac{\cos^{6}x}{6}-\frac{\cos^{4}x}{4} [/tex]

mbrmbrg said:
But if I wanted to evaluate the integral between a and b, wouldn't the constants cancel?

Yes, they would. Did you try it?
For example, you could have
[tex]\int_0^{\frac{pi}{2}}sin^4x cos^3xdx= \frac{1}{4}sin^4x- \frac{1}{6}sin^6x+ C\left|_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]
or
[tex]\int_0^{\frac{pi}{2}}sin^4x cos^3xdx= \frac{1}{6}cos^6x-\frac{1}{4}cos^4x+ C\left|_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]
Those are exactly the same. For a slightly harder example try between 0 and [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

the integral between the limits a and b would be the same, even though the actual functions are not equal to each other. that's the key idea. For example:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1}{4}\sin^4{x} -\frac{1}{6}\sin^6{x} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1}{6}\cos^6{x} -\frac{1}{4}\cos^4{x} [/tex] even though [tex] \frac{1}{4}\sin^4{x} -\frac{1}{6}\sin^6{x} [/tex] does not equal [tex] \frac{1}{6}\cos^6{x} -\frac{1}{4}\cos^4{x} [/tex]

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
the integral between the limits a and b would be the same, even though the actual functions are not equal to each other. that's the key idea.

That is so cool!
But why, please?

And thank you very much for your prolonged patience.

you could look at the graph, and see that the areas are the same (i.e. area below x-axis and area above x-axis). maybe employ some trig identities. Also look at the graphs of sin(x) and cos(x) together.

Last edited:
mbrmbrg said:
That is so cool!
But why, please?

And thank you very much for your prolonged patience.
Pick specific values for a and b, do the calculation yourself and see why!

courtrigrad said:
you could look at the graph, and see that the areas are the same (i.e. area below x-axis and area above x-axis). maybe employ some trig identities. Also look at the graphs of sin(x) and cos(x) together.

Ohhhhhh... :understanding dawns:
I love math.:!)
Hail PhysicsForums, bastion of nerdiness!

And yes, HallsofIvy, I did evaluate the integral between 0 and pi/2 (took the easy way out because I just wanted to see what was going on), and I saw the coolness take place before my very eyes, but I still understood it not. Sigh.

Pictures are great. Graphs are pictures. ==> Graphs are great.

Thank you, people!

FAQ: Integrate Trig Functions with Ease

1. How do I integrate trigonometric functions?

To integrate a trigonometric function, you need to use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties and rules of trigonometric functions.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities for integration?

Some commonly used trigonometric identities for integration include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double and half angle identities. These identities can help simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve the integral.

3. How do I choose the appropriate integration technique for a trigonometric function?

The choice of integration technique depends on the form of the trigonometric function and its variables. For example, if the function contains a polynomial and a trigonometric function, then integration by parts may be the best technique to use. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with different techniques to determine which one is best for a particular function.

4. Can I use a calculator to integrate trigonometric functions?

Yes, many scientific calculators have the capability to integrate trigonometric functions. However, it is important to note that these calculators may not always provide the most accurate result and may not be able to solve all types of trigonometric integrals. It is recommended to use a combination of manual techniques and calculators for better accuracy and understanding.

5. Are there any tips for integrating trigonometric functions more efficiently?

Some tips for integrating trigonometric functions more efficiently include identifying patterns and using trigonometric identities, drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, and practicing with a variety of examples. It is also helpful to review and understand the fundamental concepts of integration and trigonometry.