Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity for circular polarised light through linear polariser

1. Feb 27, 2014 #1
    Hi,

does the intensity change when circularly polarised light passes through a linear polariser?
    I am thinking of a flow like this: natural light -> vertical linear polariser -> quarter wave plate -> horizontal linear polariser -> intensity?

After the first polariser, the intensity is 50%, the quarter wave plate changes the linear polarisation to circular. But does the horizontal linear polariser decrease the intensity again?

Edit: Another flow would be natural light -> 45° linear polariser -> quarter wave plate -> - 45° linear polariser -> intensity? Since I think the polarisation is not affected by the quarter wave plate if the light is polarised vertically, I think the first flow would result in a complete absorption of the light by the second polariser (Intensity 0), right?

Thank you.

Cheers,
    dalind

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2
    Yes, the second polariser cuts the intensity of the circular light in half.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. Feb 27, 2014 #3

clem

Science Advisor

... and makes it linearly polarized.
    A plane polarizer treats circularly polarized light the same as it treats unpolarized light.

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4
    Okay, thanks. That's what I thought. And this only works for the second flow I described, for the first one the quarter-wave plate would not change the polarization and would therefore practically be useless, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook