Intensity from the double slit.

In summary, the double slit experiment is a physics experiment that shows the wave-particle duality of light by shining a beam of light through two slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. The intensity of light on the screen is affected by the interference pattern, which is influenced by factors such as the wavelength of light, distance between slits, and obstructions in the slits or screen. The mathematical equation for calculating intensity is I = I<sub>0</sub> cos<sup>2</sup>(πdsinθ/λ), and as the distance between the slits and screen increases, the intensity pattern becomes more spread out due to a decrease in the cosine term.
sg001

Homework Statement

Laser light of wavelength λ is incident onto a pair of narrow slits of width a and spacing dWrite down an expression for the intensity as a function of angle of the angle measured from the central axis, θ, in the far-*‐field

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was just the product of single and double slit diffraction, i.e...

I= I0cos2(∏dsinθ/λ)(sin(∏asinθ/λ)/∏asinθ/λ))2but the answer was I= 4I0cos2(∏dsinθ/λ)(sin(∏asinθ/λ)/∏asinθ/λ))2im not sure where this 4 has come from??

also how would I show if d=a then this formula turns into the double slit pattern.??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The prefactor depends on the definition of I0.
If you define it as "maximal intensity with a double-slit", the prefactor is 1.
If you define it as "maximal intensity with a single slit", it is 4.

also how would I show if d=a then this formula turns into the double slit pattern.??
If the distance between the slit centers is equal to the slit size, why would you expect a double slit pattern?

mfb said:
The prefactor depends on the definition of I0.
If you define it as "maximal intensity with a double-slit", the prefactor is 1.
If you define it as "maximal intensity with a single slit", it is 4.

If the distance between the slit centers is equal to the slit size, why would you expect a double slit pattern?

Thanks,

sorry it should have been single slit with width 2a... but when I plug in d=a I can't see how that could disappear?

With ##x=\frac{\pi a \sin(\theta)}{\lambda}##:

$$I= I_0\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi d \sin(\theta)}{\lambda}\right) \frac{sin^2(x)}{x^2}$$
With d=a and using sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x):
$$I= I_0 \frac{\cos^2(x) sin^2(x)}{x^2} = I_0 \frac{1}{4} \frac{sin^2(2x)}{x^2} = I_0 \frac{sin^2(2x)}{(2x)^2}$$
Which is the single-slit pattern with 2a.

I would like to clarify that the expression provided in the attempt at a solution is not entirely correct. The correct expression for the intensity from a double slit is given by the equation:

I = I0(cos(πdsinθ/λ)/πdsinθ/λ)^2

Where I0 is the intensity at the central maximum, d is the slit spacing, λ is the wavelength, and θ is the angle measured from the central axis.

Now, to address the question about where the factor of 4 comes from, it is a result of the double slit interference pattern. The intensity at a point on the screen is given by the sum of the intensities from each slit. Since there are two slits, the intensity is doubled, resulting in the factor of 4.

To show that when d=a, the expression turns into the double slit pattern, we can substitute d=a into the equation and simplify it. Doing so will result in the expression:

I = 4I0(cos(πasinθ/λ)/πasinθ/λ)^2

This is the same expression as the one for a single slit, but with a factor of 4 multiplied to it. This indicates that when the slit spacing is equal to the slit width, the double slit pattern reduces to the single slit pattern with a higher intensity.

In conclusion, the correct expression for the intensity from a double slit is I = I0(cos(πdsinθ/λ)/πdsinθ/λ)^2 and the factor of 4 in this equation is a result of the double slit interference pattern. When d=a, the expression reduces to the single slit pattern with a higher intensity.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

How is intensity affected by the double slit?

The interference pattern created by the double slit causes variations in the intensity of light on the screen. The bright fringes of the pattern correspond to areas of high intensity, while the dark fringes correspond to areas of low intensity.

What factors affect the intensity pattern from the double slit?

The intensity pattern from the double slit is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, any obstructions or imperfections in the slits or screen can also affect the intensity pattern.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the intensity from the double slit?

The mathematical equation for calculating the intensity from the double slit is I = I0 cos2(πdsinθ/λ), where I0 is the maximum intensity, d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle between the screen and the line connecting the slits, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

How does the intensity pattern change as the distance between the slits and the screen is increased?

As the distance between the slits and the screen is increased, the intensity pattern from the double slit becomes more spread out. This is because the angle θ becomes smaller, causing the cosine term in the intensity equation to decrease, resulting in a wider distribution of intensities on the screen.