What is the relationship between intensity and amplitude in a wave source?

In summary, the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude. When replacing a single wave source with five identical sources, their collective amplitude would be 5A, but the energy level at the source would actually increase by a factor of 25 if the sources are superimposed in the same spot. This can be seen in the special case of a single charge oscillating in simple harmonic motion, where increasing the charge from q to 5q results in 25 times the energy radiated. However, if the 5 sources have random phase shifts, the average power output would only be 5 times that of one source. The relationship between intensity, amplitude, and power in this context is that power is proportional to
Gauss M.D.
This is something I don't relly get. I keep reading that the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

So let's suppose we have a random wave source, with amplitude A0. If we replace that source with five identical copies of it, their collective amplitude is 5A, yes? But have I really raised the energy level at the source by a factor of 25? What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
If we replace that source with five identical copies of it, their collective amplitude is 5A, yes? But have I really raised the energy level at the source by a factor of 25? What am I missing here?

Are you assuming that the 5 identical sources are located in exactly the same spot (superimposed on one another)? If so, then I believe the total energy radiated by the sources would be 25 times greater than one source alone.

Think about the special case where the source is just a single charge q oscillating in simple harmonic motion . Superimposing 5 such oscillators is simply equivalent to increasing the charge from q to 5q. The power radiated by an oscillating charge is proportional to the square of the charge. So, the energy radiated with 5q is 25 times that of q.

If the 5 oscillators do not oscillate in phase, but have randomly changing phase shifts relative to one another, then I believe the average radiated power output would be just 5 times that of one oscillator.

How do intensity, amplitude, and power all relate to each other in this context?

What is the definition of intensity of a wave source?

The intensity of a wave source is the power transfer per unit area that is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. In other words, it is a measure of the energy that is transmitted through a given area in a certain amount of time.

How is the intensity of a wave source calculated?

The intensity of a wave source can be calculated by dividing the power of the wave by the area through which it is passing. Mathematically, it is represented as I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power, and A is the area.

What are the units of measurement for intensity of a wave source?

The units of measurement for intensity of a wave source are watts per square meter (W/m2). This unit represents the amount of power per unit area that is being transmitted by the wave.

What factors affect the intensity of a wave source?

The intensity of a wave source is affected by the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the distance from the source. As the amplitude and frequency increase, the intensity also increases. However, as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases.

How is the intensity of a wave source related to the loudness of a sound wave?

The intensity of a sound wave is directly related to its loudness. The greater the intensity, the louder the sound will be perceived by the listener. This is because a higher intensity means more energy is being transferred to the ear, resulting in a stronger perception of sound.