Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of wave source

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    This is something I don't relly get. I keep reading that the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

So let's suppose we have a random wave source, with amplitude A0. If we replace that source with five identical copies of it, their collective amplitude is 5A, yes? But have I really raised the energy level at the source by a factor of 25? What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you assuming that the 5 identical sources are located in exactly the same spot (superimposed on one another)? If so, then I believe the total energy radiated by the sources would be 25 times greater than one source alone.

Think about the special case where the source is just a single charge q oscillating in simple harmonic motion . Superimposing 5 such oscillators is simply equivalent to increasing the charge from q to 5q. The power radiated by an oscillating charge is proportional to the square of the charge. So, the energy radiated with 5q is 25 times that of q.

If the 5 oscillators do not oscillate in phase, but have randomly changing phase shifts relative to one another, then I believe the average radiated power output would be just 5 times that of one oscillator.

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

How do intensity, amplitude, and power all relate to each other in this context?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook