Interaction picture of a phonon-electron coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses the separation of the exponential of the unitary transformation operator into three different Hilbert subspaces and the evaluation of the resulting expression. The forum poster is currently stuck and suspects a mistake in the final result. They are seeking further guidance and suggest trying the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula or consulting with colleagues or mentors.
jorgerp24601
Homework Statement
I'm working on my undergraduate thesis about nitrogen vacancies and a part of it consists in emulating the results obtained in Appendix A of the paper titled "Coupling a Surface Acoustic Wave to an Electron Spin in Diamond via a Dark State" (in case further detail is needed), and I'm currently stuck in the part where the transformation to the interaction picture occurs.
Relevant Equations
Basically what I need to calculate is the interaction picture of a hamiltonian of the form:
$$H=\hbar \omega_m \hat{b}^+\hat{b}-\hbar\nu|1><1|-\hbar\frac{g^2}{\omega_m}|e><e|+\hbar\frac{\Omega}{2}\left(e^{-i\omega t+\frac{g}{\omega_m}(\hat{b}^+-\hat{b})}|e><1|+H.c. \right)$$

Where b is the bosonic anihilation operator.
What I have tried to do is to separate the exponential of the unitary transformation operator to the interaction picture into three different Hilbert "subspaces" like:
$$e^{i\frac{H_0}{\hbar}t}=e^{i\omega_m \hat{b}^+\hat{b}}\otimes e^{-i\hbar\nu|1><1|} \otimes e^{-i\frac{g}{\omega_m}|e><e|t}$$

Therefore, each one of the operators in the tensor product act only in their corresponden subspace. In that case, the result is:
$$H_I=\hbar\frac{\Omega}{2}e^{i\omega_m \hat{b}^+\hat{b}}\left(e^{i\left(\nu-\frac{g^2}{\omega_m}-\omega\right)}e^{\frac{g}{\omega_m}(\hat{b}^+-\hat{b})}|e><2|+H.c\right) e^{-i\omega_m \hat{b}\hat{b}^+}$$

So, I think the next and final step I have to do is to evaluate:
$$e^{i\omega_m \hat{b}^+\hat{b}t}e^{\frac{g}{\omega_m}(\hat{b}^+-\hat{b})}e^{-i\omega_m \hat{b}\hat{b}^+t}$$

And there is where I'm currently stuck. According to the paper and if my reasoning is right, that must be:
$$e^{i\omega_m \hat{b}^+\hat{b}t}e^{\frac{g}{\omega_m}(\hat{b}^+-\hat{b})}e^{-i\omega_m \hat{b}\hat{b}^+t}=e^{-\frac{g}{\omega_m}\left(\hat{b}^+e^{i\omega_m t}-\hat{b}e^{-i\omega_m t}\right)}$$

However, I have tried expanding the exponentials in a Taylor series and that didn't seem to work or at least it got messy to the point I couldn't follow what I was doing. I don't know if I'm doing wrong or if the negative sign before g/wm in the final result is a mistake.

Thank you so much to whoever is reading this and thank you even more to whoever helps me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach and progress on this problem. It seems like you are on the right track in separating the exponential operator into three different Hilbert subspaces. However, I would suggest double-checking your final result for the interaction Hamiltonian, as the negative sign in front of the term involving g/wm may be a mistake.

As for evaluating the exponential operator, instead of expanding it into a Taylor series, you can try using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula. This formula can help simplify the exponential of a sum of operators, which may be useful in your case. You can also try using the commutation relations between the operators in the exponential to simplify the expression.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest consulting with your colleagues or a mentor for further assistance. They may have some helpful insights or suggestions on how to proceed. Additionally, you can also try looking for similar problems or examples in textbooks or online resources to get some inspiration.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is the interaction picture of a phonon-electron coupling?

The interaction picture of a phonon-electron coupling is a theoretical framework used to describe the interaction between phonons (quantized vibrations in a crystal lattice) and electrons in a solid material. It allows for the calculation of the dynamics and energy transfer between these two entities.

2. How does the interaction picture differ from other theoretical approaches?

The interaction picture differs from other theoretical approaches, such as the Schrödinger picture, by separating the time-dependent and time-independent parts of the Hamiltonian. This allows for a clearer understanding of the dynamics of the system and simplifies the equations used for calculations.

3. What are the main applications of the interaction picture in physics?

The interaction picture has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of condensed matter systems. It is used to understand the behavior of electrons in materials, such as in the study of superconductivity and semiconductors. It is also used in quantum optics to study the interaction between light and matter.

4. How is the interaction picture related to the concept of phonons and electrons?

The interaction picture is directly related to the concept of phonons and electrons because it is specifically designed to describe their interaction. Phonons are responsible for the propagation of vibrations in a crystal lattice, while electrons are the carriers of charge. The interaction between these two entities is crucial in understanding the behavior of materials.

5. What are the advantages of using the interaction picture in theoretical calculations?

The interaction picture has several advantages in theoretical calculations. It simplifies the equations used for calculations by separating the time-dependent and time-independent parts of the Hamiltonian. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the dynamics of the system. Additionally, it is a powerful tool for studying the interaction between phonons and electrons in condensed matter systems, which has important applications in materials science and technology.