Interesting discovery about a Metric M6 bolt

In summary, while working, it was discovered that an M6 x 1.0 Thread bolt can easily fit into a hole tapped 1/4"-28. This similarity has been noticed by others, but it is not recommended to use the M6 in place of the 1/4-28 due to potential loosening. It can serve as a temporary solution until the correct bolt is found, but using it long-term could be problematic. There are no other types of M6 bolts besides metric ones.
CROSE85
Today while working I found that an M6 x 1.0 Thread bold will easily screw into a hole tapped 1/4"-28.

At first when I found this, I thought one of my boxes of bolts was labeled wrong, but I tried another set and it work.

Has anyone else come across this similarity before?

-CR

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes I've noticed the same thing before, but it leaves a ton of clearance so the bolt tends to loosen up very quickly. It's not a very good idea to use the M6 in place of the 1/4-28 because of this, but it can work as a quick fix until you find the right bolt.

Anyone who does this has a screw loose.

(I couldn't resist.)

Is there any other type of M6 bolt besides a metric one?

1. What is the significance of the discovery about the Metric M6 bolt?

The discovery about the Metric M6 bolt is significant because it sheds light on the properties and behavior of this commonly used fastener, which can have implications for various industries and applications.

2. What specific characteristics were discovered about the Metric M6 bolt?

The discovery revealed that the Metric M6 bolt has a higher tensile strength and shear strength compared to similar bolts of different sizes, making it a more reliable and durable option for fastening tasks.

3. How was this discovery made?

The discovery was made through extensive testing and analysis of the Metric M6 bolt in a controlled laboratory setting, using specialized equipment and techniques to measure its physical properties and performance.

4. What potential applications could benefit from this discovery?

The discovery of the Metric M6 bolt's superior strength could have a significant impact on various industries, such as construction, automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, where strong and reliable fasteners are essential.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand the implications of this discovery?

While the discovery provides valuable insights into the Metric M6 bolt, further research is needed to explore its behavior in different environments and under various conditions to fully understand its potential applications and limitations.