Is the concept of a perpetual motion machine feasible in the realm of physics?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a perpetual motion machine and its relation to gravitational time dilation. The experts discuss potential solutions and address issues such as perfect rigidity and the effects of gravity on the energy transfer in the machine. It is suggested that the machine could be recast as one that transmits energy through vibrations, and the concept of perfect bodies in relativity theory is also touched upon. Ultimately, the conversation raises interesting questions about the relationship between mechanical energy and gravity, and how it may impact the functioning of the machine.
danR said:
I can see that, but I can't see the net zero gain of the whole system until the whole energy cycle is parsed according to its components. The downward photons are more energetic, and their number is not diminished. The loss of potential energy is not found in basic high-school physics bookkeeping until the potential energy is regained by the arrival of return red-shifted photons.

How to account for the energy depends on what bookeeping system one is using.

In the Newtonian bookeeping system,a falling physical object is loosing potential energy and gaining kinetic energy. For the photon, it's still loosing potential energy (more or less,it could be argued that we are using a variant of Newtonian theory here, because standard Newtonian theory gets a bit strained in dealing with light. But still, that's the standard Newtonian way of dealing with falling objects, you've got a kinetic energy, and a potential energy, and the sum is the total energy.

In GR, we need another bookeeping system. There are at least three that might apply, but I'm only familiar enough with one of them to tell you how it "keeps the books".

The three that could apply are the ADM system, which keeps tract of the ADM energy, the Bondi system, which keeps tract of the Bondi energy, and the Komar system, which keeps tract of the Komar energy. These are all different definitions of "Energy", but unfortunately energy isn't the simple thing it is in GR as it is in Newtonian physics. This may be confusing, but it is what it is, I can only try to mention it to people, and perhaps to point them at references (which are usually over their heads, though there are a few good popularizations out there like the sci.physics.faq on energy in GR). But I digress.

It's common to use the names Bondi, ADM, and Komar energy, but it's not particularly common to call it a "bookeeping system", that's more or less an analogy I'm making to make the idea understandable.

OK - I've wandered a bit, let's get back on track. How do we handle energy in the Komar sense? Well, we don't really have a direct concept of "potential energy", but what we do instead is very similar. We CAN express the energy in this system as in integral of the energy density (though interestingly enough the integral isn't often unique), and what we do is to say that energy deep in a gravity well, counts for less towards the total energy of the system.

This is rather similar to what we'd say if we had a concept of "potential energy", but we don't. Mainly because there isn't any sort of tensor field we can think of which could store said energy, and people have for the most part realized that non-tensor approaches towards "fields" aren't really physical.

The factor by which it counts less can be thought of as the local time dilation factor, as long as you use coordinates that respect the underlying symmetry of the problem. A coordinate-independent description is possible, but it tends to confuse people, alas, and we've already had a few complaints on the thread that it was getting too technical. So I'll avoid mentioning it unless there's some specific interest, people who need to know can probably take a good guess at this point (or maybe not, in which case they'll have to ask and the people who get confused with it will have to live with it, I guess).

So, there you have it. The blue shifted photon , in some local sense, has more energy than the redshifted photon. But when you add it's energy to "the books", for accountng purposes you you you say that it contributes less to the book value than it's local value. Another way of saying it is that the "book value" of energy is the energy it would have at infinity.

And that's how you account for energy in the Komar system. More or less, I've been deliberately rather informal for the purposes of trying to explain it in terms that most people will be able to understand. Probably the biggest and most dangerous oversimplification that I've made is to assume that you can account for energy in terms of adding up piecies (i.e. via some integral) at all. It's usually possible to do this, and it's familiar, but it's not necessarily a unique process in GR.

[add]The other thing I've oversimplified, because it doesn't really contribute to the problem at hand, is the notion of how pressure affects the bookeeping.

I wish I had a better understanding of the ADM and Bondi systems to provide a similar explanation - or perhaps even to say that a similar explanation doesn't exist - but at t his point, I don't.

I will point out that arguing over the energy as it's defined in Newtonian physics isn't going to get the thread anywhere. Not that it usually stops people from doing it. From my viewpoint,though, if you want to understand how GR deals with energy, you actually have to try to lean how it deals with it. It's NOT necessarily the same way that Newtonian theory does it, and you might have to make a few mental adjustments. If you don't really have the background for it, it might be better to wait until you do if you want really detailed information and understanding without any errors. If you don't or can't, you'll have to make do with popularizations such as posts like this and the sci.physics.faq, which may get you pointed more or less in the right direction, but might be missing a few points that later turn out to be important to your understanding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
High school students study energy changes and would know,for example,that when an object is falling freely there is a conversion of PE to KE.The part of the event where the object is falling is analogous to the part of the event described by guss where the photons are moving down.

Sure, but the whole machine has to be deconstructed. That's the trick in this post. Otherwise everyone could say: 'violation of conservation; next question...'. There's the physics analogue of the 1=2 algebraic trick that hides an a/0.

pervect said:
How to account for the energy depends on what bookeeping system one is using.
Probably the biggest and most dangerous oversimplification that I've made is to assume that you can account for energy in terms of adding up piecies (i.e. via some integral) at all. It's usually possible to do this, and it's familiar, but it's not necessarily a unique process in GR.

[add]The other thing I've oversimplified, because it doesn't really contribute to the problem at hand, is the notion of how pressure affects the bookeeping.

I wish I had a better understanding of the ADM and Bondi systems to provide a similar explanation - or perhaps even to say that a similar explanation doesn't exist - but at t his point, I don't.

I will point out that arguing over the energy as it's defined in Newtonian physics isn't going to get the thread anywhere. Not that it usually stops people from doing it. From my viewpoint,though, if you want to understand how GR deals with energy, you actually have to try to lean how it deals with it. It's NOT necessarily the same way that Newtonian theory does it, and you might have to make a few mental adjustments. If you don't really have the background for it, it might be better to wait until you do if you want really detailed information and understanding without any errors. If you don't or can't, you'll have to make do with popularizations such as posts like this and the sci.physics.faq, which may get you pointed more or less in the right direction, but might be missing a few points that later turn out to be important to your understanding.

I have no complaints about discussions getting 'too' technical, though I often point out the fact. But I have to come to some simple deconstruction of the machine's down and up energy path that makes to sense to me, though it may be off.

danR said:
Otherwise everyone could say: 'violation of conservation; next question...'.
Everyone can say exactly that. That is the whole point of finding general conservation laws.

DaleSpam said:
Everyone can say exactly that. That is the whole point of finding general conservation laws.

Richard Feynman would not have been satisfied with answering guss' problem so summarily, however.

He would might have said something like 'conservation of energy', yes, and then tear down the whole machine and say: 'There's your problem right there, lady...'

Edit: To give another example, the plane on the conveyor belt 'conundrum' is nothing more than a F=ma illustration all dressed up. But I went through misery answering this thing in Yahoo answers, and then along comes a guy with years in aviation, explaining that the plane will not take off, in exasperating detail, and wouldn't you know, he gets the 'best answer' award.

If I just said 'therefore a=F/m, so the plane will go forward, the wheels and belt have nothing to do with anything. But no, I had go ahead and explain the whole thing (as did others).

'love's labour lost'

Last edited:
danR said:
Richard Feynman would not have been satisfied with answering guss' problem so summarily, however.

He would might have said something like 'conservation of energy', yes, and then tear down the whole machine and say: 'There's your problem right there, lady...'
Which is what we did here.

In any case, Feynman is not on PF so you may have to settle for our inferior efforts instead. It is always possible to come up with a scenario so complicated that your audience cannot analyze it (even Feynman).

Since the conservation principles follow directly from the laws then the details of a given machine are irrelevant. As long as it follows the laws it must also follow the conservation principles. At some point you need to stop conjecturing more complicated machines and actually learn the derivation of the conservation law. But again, that is not what was done here.

<<To start, light doesn't accelerate. c is fixed>>

Not correct. In Spoecial Relativity the speed of light is c, but not in general in General Relativity.

Pretty much every day I visit this board I see this mistake being made.

ApplePion said:

Not correct. In Spoecial Relativity the speed of light is c, but not in general in General Relativity.

Gosh, I really hope this "mistake" is made in every post in PF! :smile:

DaleSpam said:

In any case, Feynman is not on PF so you may have to settle for our inferior efforts instead. It is always possible to come up with a scenario so complicated that your audience cannot analyze it (even Feynman).

Since the conservation principles follow directly from the laws then the details of a given machine are irrelevant. As long as it follows the laws it must also follow the conservation principles. At some point you need to stop conjecturing more complicated machines and actually learn the derivation of the conservation law. But again, that is not what was done here.
I think this was a very straightforward problem. I wanted to dissect and understand exactly why the energy was being lost. Some people got very technical about it, and that's fine.

Also, I'm still a little confused. Wasn't the general consensus that the gears were losing energy due to time dilation? And now the consensus is that the light does not gain energy? So now we have a net energy loss in the system, which doesn't make sense. So one of those consensuses is wrong.
ApplePion said:

If you had read literally the two posts after the first post, you would have seen that this problem was already completely addressed.

ApplePion said:

The speed of light is c in inertial coordinates in both SR and GR. The only difference between SR and GR on this point is that SR admits globally inertial coordinate systems while in GR they may be only local.

Guss - re your #79, may I suggest you re-read #56 again. What applies to the spinning shaft there equally applies to your meshing gear setup. Both rotation speed and force are equally affected as measured *locally* in the gravitational potential. At any given height, power in the descending light beam will be exactly matched by ascending power in the meshing gears. Just a glorified 'conveyer belt' in effect. Both values are *equally* greater at the bottom, and lower at the top. The key is to appreciate power is related to the square of redshift (or blueshift depending on datum point chosen) as *locally* measured. And btw, prior argument to the effect that force impulses have to explained as 'photon exchange' is both missing the issue and just wrong. I'm no expert in solid state physics, but can say that solids are *not* held together by electromagnetic forces only - quantum interactions like Pauli exchange interactions are important. Hence covalent bonds, metallic bonds, as well as ionic bonds ,and in any real solid it is a mixture of these. As long as the gears hold together properly, all that matters is how gravity effects the local measure of things.

guss said:
Wasn't the general consensus that the gears were losing energy due to time dilation? And now the consensus is that the light does not gain energy?
Consensus is over-rated. I never noticed the second consensus.

Last edited:
<<If you had read literally the two posts after the first post, you would have seen that this problem was already completely addressed.>>

I do not think it was. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

<<The speed of light is c in inertial coordinates in both SR and GR. The only difference between SR and GR on this point is that SR admits globally inertial coordinate systems while in GR they may be only local.>>

This is another common mistake here.

It *would* be c is one *switched* to inertial coordinates, but when one is working in a system one has to use the coordinates of the actual system.

I live in Florida, and while it is possible that I *could* live in Alaska being that I am an American citizen, I do not actually live in Alaska.

One one considers a physics situation one descibes things in a chosen coordinate system. As I'm sure you know you cannot have inertial coordinates everywhere...and thus you do not have inertial coordinates everywhere.

guss said:
And now the consensus is that the light does not gain energy?

The light gains energy, that is, gravitational energy is converted to electromagnetic energy (classically speaking).
Put otherwise (GR speaking), since the time dilation is increasing, the apparent frequency of the light is increasing too.

I like Serena said:
The light gains energy, that is, gravitational energy is converted to electromagnetic energy (classically speaking).
Put otherwise (GR speaking), since the time dilation is increasing, the apparent frequency of the light is increasing too.

Well put, in this way the system energy as a whole (light plus gravitational field or) is conserved.

ApplePion said:
<<The speed of light is c in inertial coordinates in both SR and GR. The only difference between SR and GR on this point is that SR admits globally inertial coordinate systems while in GR they may be only local.>>

This is another common mistake here.

There is nothing mistaken in the Dalespam quote the way it is expressed IMO, maybe you have misinterpreted it.

ApplePion said:
It *would* be c is one *switched* to inertial coordinates, but when one is working in a system one has to use the coordinates of the actual system.
Wich are very close to local inertial coordinates for any measure of c that you may want to perform. C is always measured locally.
ApplePion said:
One one considers a physics situation one descibes things in a chosen coordinate system. As I'm sure you know you cannot have inertial coordinates everywhere...and thus you do not have inertial coordinates everywhere.
This phrasing is confusing, if you mean there is no global inertial coordinates in GR, that is just what Dalespam said. If you mean that you can't have inertial coordinates set up at every point of spacetime, you would be denying normal coordinates and the Equivalence Principle.

danR said:
Edit: To give another example, the plane on the conveyor belt 'conundrum' is nothing more than a F=ma illustration all dressed up. But I went through misery answering this thing in Yahoo answers, and then along comes a guy with years in aviation, explaining that the plane will not take off, in exasperating detail, and wouldn't you know, he gets the 'best answer' award.

If I just said 'therefore a=F/m, so the plane will go forward, the wheels and belt have nothing to do with anything. But no, I had go ahead and explain the whole thing (as did others).

'love's labour lost'
Would have been easier to have just posted a link to this youtube video of a plane taking off from a conveyor belt. No one was more surprised than the pilot when the plane took off. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the very first post and considering the chain of cogwheels (which as someone said is like a conveyor belt in principle) how fast will the bottom cog be turning according to a local observer at the bottom, if the the top cog is turning at X rpm according to the top observer?

Assume all the cogs are exactly the same size and almost 100% efficiency and the gravitational redshift factor is F.

yuiop said:
Going back to the very first post and considering the chain of cogwheels (which as someone said is like a conveyor belt in principle) how fast will the bottom cog be turning according to a local observer at the bottom, if the the top cog is turning at X rpm according to the top observer?

Assume all the cogs are exactly the same size and almost 100% efficiency and the gravitational redshift factor is F.
XF (where F is defined as >1) yuiop - we've had a bit of recent practice with that sort of thing on another thread, right?!:smile:

You correctly assume that as the light energy travels downwards it picks up "energy" due to the gravitational field, but you fail to realize that as the mechanical energy travels back uipwards it loses "energy" due to the gravitational field.

Both light energy and mechanical energy have the same behavior.

ApplePion said:
You correctly assume that as the light energy travels downwards it picks up "energy" due to the gravitational field, but you fail to realize that as the mechanical energy travels back uipwards it loses "energy" due to the gravitational field.

Both light energy and mechanical energy have the same behavior.
ApplePion: As there was no specific quoting anyone, I must do a Sherlock Holmes and deduce from the time of your entry it is me you are directing your comment to. If so then I'm afraid you have badly misunderstood what I have been arguing. I'm on your side re above! Have another read of #81 and earlier please, paying close attention to what is actually said. Now if you were referring to someone else well apologies but how would I know that?

DaleSpam said:

Oh, I think there are plenty of good Feynmanns going at this question. I just didn't want the deconstruction to stop until Guss got a transparent answer at some level, or I could figure out something for myself. But all good things have an end eventually.

yuiop said:
Would have been easier to have just posted a link to this youtube video of a plane taking off from a conveyor belt. No one was more surprised than the pilot when the plane took off. LOL

The skeptics don't accept the Mythbusters demo. You wouldn't believe the excuses. But I've gotten us off-topic, and that will get us a warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
ApplePion said:
There is no God-given set of coordinates for a given system. You are always free to use any coordinates you choose. Or do you not believe that coordinate transformations are valid?

ApplePion said:
I live in Florida, and while it is possible that I *could* live in Alaska being that I am an American citizen, I do not actually live in Alaska.
The laws of physics are the same whether you place the origin of your coordinate system in Alaska or Florida.

You are asserting a difference between SR and GR that does not exist. In both theories the speed of light is c in any set of inertial coordinates. In both theories the speed of light may be something other than c in non-inertial coordinates. The difference between the theories in this context being merely that inertial coordinate systems are global in SR and local in GR.

Last edited:

ApplePion said:

That's a statement, not a deconstruction.

Q-reeus said:
Guss - re your #79, may I suggest you re-read #56 again. What applies to the spinning shaft there equally applies to your meshing gear setup. Both rotation speed and force are equally affected as measured *locally* in the gravitational potential. At any given height, power in the descending light beam will be exactly matched by ascending power in the meshing gears. Just a glorified 'conveyer belt' in effect. Both values are *equally* greater at the bottom, and lower at the top. The key is to appreciate power is related to the square of redshift (or blueshift depending on datum point chosen) as *locally* measured. And btw, prior argument to the effect that force impulses have to explained as 'photon exchange' is both missing the issue and just wrong. I'm no expert in solid state physics, but can say that solids are *not* held together by electromagnetic forces only - quantum interactions like Pauli exchange interactions are important. Hence covalent bonds, metallic bonds, as well as ionic bonds ,and in any real solid it is a mixture of these. As long as the gears hold together properly, all that matters is how gravity effects the local measure of things.

To the extent there are distinct exchange interactions due to overlapping wave functions, those should be dissected out of the book-keeping and dealt with separately. If they are a significant factor discussed in engineering physics, I'd like to see citations, and if they are, they will certainly complicate things with a classic quantum versus relativity wrestling match.

I don't want to assume that the gears are equivalent to a 'conveyer belt' if that doesn't help Guss. It doesn't help me, because then we have three down/up routes to deal with, rather than just the photons down, mechanical energy up. I don't want to knock down a straw-man, either, with rotors, conveyor belts, electric circuits, and the like, although I suspect there is a unified explanation.

Instantaneously, the gears are acting as a series of levers. I could give a picture as to how this would occur with any geometry of gears, but I'm too lazy.

danR said:
To the extent there are distinct exchange interactions due to overlapping wave functions, those should be dissected out of the book-keeping and dealt with separately. If they are a significant factor discussed in engineering physics, I'd like to see citations, and if they are, they will certainly complicate things with a classic quantum versus relativity wrestling match.
danR: What I was saying there is that one cannot properly explain the mechanical transmission of power going on by trying to turn it into a chain of photon interactions and then saying those photons are redshifting just like in the downward light beam. It is simply a fact that a solid could never be stable if 'glued' purely by electrostatic interactions. When a solid is deformed, basically one is perturbing the electron cloud distributions within the solid, and that distribution is governed strongly by quantum mechanical rules, not electrostatics. As I say I'm no guru on this, but just Google for solid state physics, or materials science etc, and follow the leads. The crux of the matter is how gravitational potential distorts the metric locally and how this relates particularly here to local measure of frequency, velocity, and force in general. Do you accept that whether a force is of electrical or mechanical origin, it will transform under gravitational potential exactly the same?
I don't want to assume that the gears are equivalent to a 'conveyer belt' if that doesn't help Guss. It doesn't help me, because then we have three down/up routes to deal with, rather than just the photons down, mechanical energy up. I don't want to knock down a straw-man, either, with rotors, conveyor belts, electric circuits, and the like, although I suspect there is a unified explanation.
Agreed it has become somewhat fragmented with links to other threads etc, but I think usefully so, and mostly the metaphors have been apt in context. Conveyor belt simply meant a continuous looping of power with no net effect. Crude but drives home the point that the light and mechanical gear system are reacting to gravity in the same manner re power transmission. In #56 it was explained both transverse acting force and velocity have the same redshift factor - and again I repeat, that is a locally measured thing owing to gravitational potential (not gravitational force). Power is the product of the two. The light beam experiences the same squared redshift dependence. Thus they are always balancing - no net flow at any point.
Instantaneously, the gears are acting as a series of levers. I could give a picture as to how this would occur with any geometry of gears, but I'm too lazy.
What applies to the spinning shaft example will apply to the gears (or equivalent instantaneously oriented levers) since the meshing forces are also transverse. Bottom line: there is no mysterious power deficit to explain, and no mysterious continuous deformations in the gears to worry about. That was an artefact of assuming power was proportional to the redshift only, and not it's square as is the actual case.

I guess the simplest rough analogue I can think of is that of the rolling motion of a car tyre. Pick some white painted spot on the tyre wall. As it rolls downward, it hits a deformation zone (effect of gravity) where distances and stresses alter, but this process fully reverses each full rotation.

Q-reeus said:
danR: What I was saying there is that one cannot properly explain the mechanical transmission of power going on by trying to turn it into a chain of photon interactions and then saying those photons are redshifting just like in the downward light beam. It is simply a fact that a solid could never be stable if 'glued' purely by electrostatic interactions. When a solid is deformed, basically one is perturbing the electron cloud distributions within the solid, and that distribution is governed strongly by quantum mechanical rules, not electrostatics. As I say I'm no guru on this, but just Google for solid state physics, or materials science etc, and follow the leads. The crux of the matter is how gravitational potential distorts the metric locally and how this relates particularly here to local measure of frequency, velocity, and force in general. Do you accept that whether a force is of electrical or mechanical origin, it will transform under gravitational potential exactly the same?

Agreed it has become somewhat fragmented with links to other threads etc, but I think usefully so, and mostly the metaphors have been apt in context. Conveyor belt simply meant a continuous looping of power with no net effect. Crude but drives home the point that the light and mechanical gear system are reacting to gravity in the same manner re power transmission. In #56 it was explained both transverse acting force and velocity have the same redshift factor - and again I repeat, that is a locally measured thing owing to gravitational potential (not gravitational force). Power is the product of the two. The light beam experiences the same squared redshift dependence. Thus they are always balancing - no net flow at any point.

What applies to the spinning shaft example will apply to the gears (or equivalent instantaneously oriented levers) since the meshing forces are also transverse. Bottom line: there is no mysterious power deficit to explain, and no mysterious continuous deformations in the gears to worry about. That was an artefact of assuming power was proportional to the redshift only, and not it's square as is the actual case.

I guess the simplest rough analogue I can think of is that of the rolling motion of a car tyre. Pick some white painted spot on the tyre wall. As it rolls downward, it hits a deformation zone (effect of gravity) where distances and stresses alter, but this process fully reverses each full rotation.

I had looked briefly into exchange interactions, and found a strong preoccupation with spin/magnetic/ferromagnetic issues, and again, I would want someone with the credentials to either parse out, or integrate, the components (potentially) implicated in the transmission of energy.

Since Guss has given us a photon generator, we're in luck because we can break this contraption down to one-photon at a time emitter, absorber/converter, gear (lever-equivalent in the instantaneous case) system. A rotor will complicate things, but we can treat the photon-quantized impulses as radial/transverse waves still using the forces under the current controversy.

So, I would take the forces issue to a reliable forces-Certified General Accountant, and have them look at Guss' system and return me, for a suitable fee of course, a complete tabularized account of the up-path photon, and quantum interaction, and whether the latter obeys some kind of GR regulations regarding redshifting, or whether they are offshore companies that don't pay GR taxes, or if they're in with the photon exchange particles in some kind of energy-laundering scheme, or whatever.

Actually, discussion on exchange interaction is rather hard to come by on PF, and its contribution to the transmission of energy even more uncertain. If it is invoked as a factor in the mechanical return path in the present discussion, I think it needs some quantification.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208889&page=3

danR said:
...So, I would take the forces issue to a reliable forces-Certified General Accountant, and have them look at Guss' system and return me, for a suitable fee of course, a complete tabularized account of the up-path photon, and quantum interaction, and whether the latter obeys some kind of GR regulations regarding redshifting, or whether they are offshore companies that don't pay GR taxes, or if they're in with the photon exchange particles in some kind of energy-laundering scheme, or whatever.
Good luck with finding such Certified Accountant - apart from being hard to come by he/she may charge quite a hefty fee!

danR said:
Actually, discussion on exchange interaction is rather hard to come by on PF, and its contribution to the transmission of energy even more uncertain. If it is invoked as a factor in the mechanical return path in the present discussion, I think it needs some quantification.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208889&page=3
And the point driven home there was? Beginning at #33 and ending at #40 all I got was a differing of opinions. I could supply a counter link like here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=409034 - entry #19 & following. This whole thing can be made infinitely complex if one wishes to chase the fine details of every possible QM/EM/GR interaction involved. And why stop there - wouldn't we need to burrow right down to the Planck scale and even beyond. One might then have to decide whether string theory or LQG or CDT or whatever is the correct TOE before being comfortable our exhaustive accounting is done good and proper. And let's not forget the real world contributions of friction, hysteresis, imperfect 'transducer' conversion efficiencies, finite acoustic wave generation effects, etc etc. What an ungodly mess! But the OP surely intended an idealized gedanken experiment where extraneous issues are ignored. Surely what matters is how gravity effects an otherwise straightforward power loop - sans gravity we agree their is nothing to consider here; just conversion from one form of energy/power to another, and thence recycle continuously. The intention is to find that the gravitational metric transformations top re bottom are consistent, and here we rely on the universality of such transformations.

As I asked you in #98 and repeat here: "Do you accept that whether a force is of electrical or mechanical origin, it will transform under gravitational potential exactly the same?" If you would care to answer that this time around, we can decide whether you still have a real issue. If your answer is no, well straight away I will construct a perpetuum mobile for your consideration from that choice. (I have only just realized there IS a real issue with mechanical transmission in a gravitational field in a more general setting using Schwarzschild metric, but none that applies to the OP's setup and our discussion of that)

Q-reeus said:
As I asked you in #98 and repeat here: "Do you accept that whether a force is of electrical or mechanical origin, it will transform under gravitational potential exactly the same?" If you would care to answer that this time around, we can decide whether you still have a real issue. If your answer is no, well straight away I will construct a perpetuum mobile for your consideration from that choice. (I have only just realized there IS a real issue with mechanical transmission in a gravitational field in a more general setting using Schwarzschild metric, but none that applies to the OP's setup and our discussion of that)

The question is complex, so I will break it into parts:

The force is electromagnetic whether electrical (deBroglie) or mechanical (bond distortion). (Addendum: I'm satisfied that the exchange interaction is akin to quantum entanglement/correlation, is not a force, is FTL-instantaneous, cannot do work, cannot carry a signal, etc. and is not a significant component in this machine.)

Its exchange particle is the photon.

The photon solus, or part of a photon/bond domino cascade up the GR field, will lose energy exactly as the down photon gains.

I think we have to swap pronouns: you have to decide whether we have an issue. I think the matter is resolved, and answers to Guss' machine: the down and up photon energies are GR-symmetric. It will make a fine mobile, but not a classical perpetual motion machine that will solve our energy needs.

danR said:
...I think we have to swap pronouns: you have to decide whether we have an issue. I think the matter is resolved, and answers to Guss' machine: the down and up photon energies are GR-symmetric. It will make a fine mobile, but not a classical perpetual motion machine that will solve our energy needs.
As long as we all agree we have a mobile and not a perpetuum mobile then if you and I are happy with our different perspectives, fine. No big deal - time for a kit-kat.:rolleyes:

Q-reeus said:
As long as we all agree we have a mobile and not a perpetuum mobile then if you and I are happy with our different perspectives, fine. No big deal - time for a kit-kat.:rolleyes:

Also, all the big kids seem to have left the playground; but at least if we're both wrong, nobody important seems to care.:biggrin: