How Does Screening Work in a Metal with a Background Charge Density?

In summary, the background charge density affects the potential and electron charge distribution, but the electric field is still determined assuming that there is no screening.
tjny699
Hello,

Chemistry grad student here about to start a physics-y project...so trying to learn about condensed matter physics.

I get how screening works when you add a single charge to a gas of electrons, but what happens in a metal when you have a whole lattice, ie, a background charge density? Specifically, say the background charge density is

[tex] n(x)=n_0+\delta n e^{-A*|x|} [/tex]

where [tex]\delta n[/tex] is small.

I've tried applying the Thomas-Fermi screening function (dielectric) and using a linear response approximation but can't get a sensible result when I try to calculate the self-consistent potential, distribution of electron charge, and electric field for x>>1/A

Does anyone know any references that contain a discussion of screening for background distributions that aren't just point particles?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think we should know how the positive background move when a force is applied to it, to answer your question.

However, it seems that only the electron motion is important since electrons move a lot faster than positve ions. The lattice structure still plays an important role in screening, since it determines the band structure and thereby properties of the Fermi surface.

Hi weejee,

thanks a lot for your reply. i think you are correct: i assumed that the motion of the positive background can be neglected.

I think I've figured out how to get the potential and electron charge distribution using one of the Maxwell Equations, something called the "Thomas-Fermi screening dielectric" and by Fourier transforming the potential and charge density.

However, I am a bit stuck on how to determine the electric field for x>>1/A. Perhaps it is easier to find the electric field assuming that there is no screening first? I have a biochemistry background so I'm not quite sure how to go about calculating the E-field.

Thanks again and, as always, any help would be very appreciated.

1. What is screening in a metal?

Screening in a metal refers to the process of removing impurities and other unwanted elements from the metal. This is typically done through a variety of techniques such as filtration, chemical reactions, or physical separation.

2. Why is screening important in metal production?

Screening is important in metal production because it helps to ensure that the final product meets certain quality standards. By removing impurities, the metal becomes more pure and has better mechanical properties, making it more suitable for various applications.

3. What are some common methods of screening in metal production?

Some common methods of screening in metal production include sieving, flotation, magnetic separation, and chemical precipitation. These techniques are often used in combination to achieve the desired level of purity in the metal.

4. What are the benefits of using screening in metal production?

The benefits of using screening in metal production include improved product quality, increased efficiency, and reduced costs. By removing impurities, the metal becomes stronger and more durable, making it more valuable in various industries.

5. Is screening necessary for all types of metals?

While screening is commonly used in metal production, it is not always necessary for all types of metals. Some metals, such as gold or silver, are naturally pure and do not require extensive screening. However, for most metals, screening is an important step in the production process.