Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting simulation of a spiral galaxy evolution.

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

VERY cool. Thanks for posting.

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    Interesting.

at about 0:45 counterclockwise rotation is clearly visible. by 1:30 the direction of rotation is clockwise. Between 1:05 and 1:30 direction of rotation seems to be dependant on the distance from the center.

I'm curious if this sort of change in the direction of rotation is a real phenomena or just a feature of this simulation.

Does anyone know of any observational evidence one way or the other?

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    Also interesting is after about 20 seconds a clear axis of rotation develops and stays pointing in the same direction even though the mass of the galaxy changes many times. Does that seem typical or must it be from initial conditions of the initial matter cloud? I assume we are viewing from some point with fixed orientation (what the hell does that mean)?

Thanks for any help!

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5
    No jets. Early formation should produce jets.

I'm assuming from that model that gravitational acceleration wasn't limited, it would be nice to see a simulation where it was. /1+limit+R² (there is no observation that shows acceleration -> infinity as r->0, it's only an assumption, if you accept frame dragging then the assumption must be incorrect anyway)

7. Nov 3, 2012 #6
    Do you know how they created the stimulation? Was it a custom program or one already made?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook