Interference occurs, if two waves are said to be coherent

In summary: However, if one has two linear polarized waves whose E-vectors have a phase angle of pi/2, then there does not occur any interference, according to the internet.
Gavroy
hi,

Our teacher told us, that interference occurs, if two waves are said to be coherent.

but doesn't it have also something to do with the polarization of the two waves?

so can one observe interference, if one has:
circular or ellipctical polarized waves, when these two have a constant phase.-> I would say yes.

but now I saw in the internet, that if one has two linear polarized waves whose E-vectors have a phase angle of pi/2, then there occurs no interference, is that right?

I don't really know, if polarization has something to do with interference or not, could somebody help me?

Science news on Phys.org

does nobody have an idea?

or is something unclear about my question?

Gavroy said:
hi,

Our teacher told us, that interference occurs, if two waves are said to be coherent.

but doesn't it have also something to do with the polarization of the two waves?

circular or ellipctical polarized waves, when these two have a constant phase.-> I would say yes.

but now I saw in the internet, that if one has two linear polarized waves whose E-vectors have a phase angle of pi/2, then there occurs no interference, is that right?

I don't really know, if polarization has something to do with interference or not, could somebody help me?

Polarization shouldn't have anything to do with interference. If you have light polarized in one direction and add to it light polarized in an orthogonal direction, then there is no interference between these two light waves, and the intensity is just the sum of the intensities.

In optics therefore it is common to think of light as a scalar when discussing interference (at least I think - any optics people here?).

Gavroy said:
hi,

In order for two (electromagnetic) waves to interfere, the two waves must have the same polarization.

Circularly polarized and elliptically polarized light will partially interfere: the elliptical polarization can be decomposed into two orthogonal circular states (left-handed and right-handed), and whichever one is coincident with the other wave will interfere with it.

Yes, interference can occur if two waves are coherent, meaning they have the same frequency and a constant phase relationship. This is because when two waves meet, their amplitudes can either add constructively or cancel out destructively, resulting in interference patterns.

Polarization refers to the direction in which the electric field of a wave oscillates. In order for interference to occur, the waves must have the same polarization. This means that the electric fields of the waves must be aligned in the same direction. If the two waves have different polarizations, they will not interfere with each other.

In the case of circular or elliptical polarized waves, as long as they have a constant phase relationship, they can still interfere with each other. This is because even though the direction of their electric fields may be different, they still have the same frequency and phase.

However, if two waves have linear polarizations that are perpendicular to each other (a phase angle of pi/2), they will not interfere with each other. This is because their electric fields are not aligned and therefore cannot add or cancel each other out.

In summary, polarization does play a role in interference, as the waves must have the same polarization in order to interfere with each other. However, the specific type of polarization (circular, elliptical, linear) does not necessarily determine whether interference will occur, but rather the alignment of their electric fields.

1. What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. It can result in the reinforcement or cancellation of the waves, leading to changes in the overall amplitude or intensity of the resulting wave.

2. What does it mean for waves to be coherent?

When waves are said to be coherent, it means that they have a constant phase relationship and the same frequency. This allows them to interact and interfere with each other in a predictable manner.

3. How does interference occur between two coherent waves?

Interference occurs when two coherent waves meet and superimpose on each other. The resulting wave is a combination of the two waves, and the interference can either be constructive (waves reinforce each other) or destructive (waves cancel each other out).

4. What factors affect the interference pattern between two waves?

The interference pattern between two waves is affected by the amplitude, frequency, and phase difference between the waves. Additionally, the distance between the sources of the waves and the medium through which they travel can also impact the interference pattern.

5. How is interference used in practical applications?

Interference is used in various practical applications, such as in radio and television broadcasting, optical coatings, and holography. It is also used in interferometers, which are devices that measure small changes in distance, and in noise-cancelling headphones, which use destructive interference to cancel out unwanted sound waves.