How do I integrate 1/[xlog(x)]?

• Thread starter euclid3.14
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the integral of 1/x * 1/log(x), which eventually leads to the solution of log[log(x)]. The conversation also mentions using substitution and integration by parts to arrive at this solution.
euclid3.14
This is doing my head in!

I split it to 1/x * 1/log(x) and got the intergral = 1 + the intergral when using intergration by parts. :cry:

I know the answer is log[log(x)] but have no idea how you get log of a log.

Got a feeling the answer is going to really obvious!

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute u=log(x)

log(x) = u, u=exp(x), x du = dx.
intergral becomes exp[-u] 1/u exp du
= 1/u du
= log u
= log[log(x)]

Cheers! :biggrin:

\int{frac{1}{x\ln{x}}}\d x=\int{frac{1}{\ln{x}}}\d \ln{x}

[tex]\int{frac{1}{x\ln{x}}}\d x=\int{frac{1}{\ln{x}}}\d \ln{x}[\tex]

[tex]\int{frac{1}{x\ln{x}}}\d x=\int{frac{1}{\ln{x}}}\d \ln{x}[/tex]

Do you mean?

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x\ln{x}}}dx=\int\frac{1}{\ln{x}}d\ln{x}[/tex]

You can click on the above for the code that generated it.

You know you can preview posts before you submit. You can also edit and delete!

I see. Sorry for making a big mess here.

What is "Intergrating 1/[xlog(x)]"?

"Intergrating 1/[xlog(x)]" refers to the process of finding the indefinite integral of the expression 1/[xlog(x)], which involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to 1/[xlog(x)].

Why is "Intergrating 1/[xlog(x)]" important?

"Intergrating 1/[xlog(x)]" is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is often used in various mathematical and scientific applications. It also helps in solving problems involving logarithmic functions.

What are the steps for integrating 1/[xlog(x)]?

The steps for integrating 1/[xlog(x)] involve using substitution and integration by parts. First, substitute u = log(x) and du = 1/x dx to rewrite the integral as ∫1/[ulog(u)] du. Then, use integration by parts with u = 1 and dv = 1/[ulog(u)] du. Finally, solve for the integral using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.

What are the common mistakes when integrating 1/[xlog(x)]?

Some common mistakes when integrating 1/[xlog(x)] include forgetting to substitute u = log(x) and du = 1/x dx, not applying the correct formula for integration by parts, and making arithmetic errors when solving the integral.

Are there any tips for solving integrals involving 1/[xlog(x)]?

Yes, a helpful tip for solving integrals involving 1/[xlog(x)] is to carefully check your work and make sure to substitute correctly. It is also important to practice and familiarize yourself with the integration by parts formula. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or online integration tool can help verify your answer.