1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermolecular forces

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I know that there are three types of Intermolecular forces but while searching on the internet I found that there are six intermolecular forces i.e. Dipole-Dipole Interaction, Hydrogen bond, London Dispersion, Ion-Dipole Interaction, Dipole-Induced Dipole Interaction and Ion-Induced dipole Interaction. So please help me here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From what I have learnt from school there are three.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2
    What are the three that you have learnt in school? It's probably H-bonds, -dipole and london forces (I'm guessing)

With any subject, there is always more than what's taught in schools I guess because in my case, I had learn that there were 4. And while doing an assignment I came to realzie there were actually six.

If you read, you will find that under dipole interactions you will have the dipole-dipole and ion-dipole, under induced dipole, you'll have ion-induced dipole and dipole-induced-dipole.

If you want to know what these interactions are, post a reply.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Yeah you got them right. Please tell me more about these. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?