1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal forces for massless rods in rotation

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Lets say we have a mass attached to a rigid, massless rod that is fixed at the other end, so we have a system that can only undergo rotation. My question is, if we apply a force to the rigid rod (and not to the actual mass), how can we derive (using only F=Ma) the shear force distribution in the rod so that the forces applied to the ends will produce the expected angular acceleration.

It seems like I can get this answer using conservation of angular momentum or conservation of energy, but I cannot see how I could use only free body diagrams and F=Ma to detemine that, for example, applying a force midway through the rod will result in only half the force being transmitted to the mass at the end of the rod.

Again, I know how to get the answer, but I cannot visualize what is happening with the internal forces to make such a result come about.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted