Internal forces for massless rods in rotation

This phenomenon can also be explained using conservation of angular momentum or conservation of energy.
euprax
Lets say we have a mass attached to a rigid, massless rod that is fixed at the other end, so we have a system that can only undergo rotation. My question is, if we apply a force to the rigid rod (and not to the actual mass), how can we derive (using only F=Ma) the shear force distribution in the rod so that the forces applied to the ends will produce the expected angular acceleration.

It seems like I can get this answer using conservation of angular momentum or conservation of energy, but I cannot see how I could use only free body diagrams and F=Ma to detemine that, for example, applying a force midway through the rod will result in only half the force being transmitted to the mass at the end of the rod.

Again, I know how to get the answer, but I cannot visualize what is happening with the internal forces to make such a result come about.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question can be found using the concept of moment of inertia. Moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object. In this case, when you apply a force to the rod, it will cause a torque (or rotational force) to be applied to the mass. This torque is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation (in this case, the end of the rod). The amount of torque applied to the mass depends on the mass of the object and its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of an object (in this case, the mass at the end of the rod) is proportional to its mass and to the square of its distance from the point of rotation (in this case, the end of the rod). Therefore, if you apply a force to the rod midway between the end and the mass, the torque applied to the mass will be half of what it would have been if you had applied the same force at the end of the rod. This is because the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation is doubled. In summary, the shear force distribution in the rod can be determined using F=Ma and the concept of moment of inertia. The force applied at any point along the rod will result in a proportionally smaller torque being applied to the mass at the end of the rod as the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation increases.

1. What are internal forces for massless rods in rotation?

Internal forces for massless rods in rotation refer to the forces that act within a rotating rod that do not cause any change in its overall motion. These forces are responsible for maintaining the structural integrity of the rod as it rotates.

2. How do internal forces affect the rotation of a massless rod?

Internal forces do not directly affect the rotation of a massless rod since they do not cause any change in its overall motion. However, they play a crucial role in maintaining the rod's shape and preventing it from breaking or deforming due to the centrifugal force generated by its rotation.

3. What is the difference between internal forces and external forces in a rotating massless rod?

Internal forces act within the rotating rod, while external forces act on the rod from the outside. While external forces can cause changes in the rod's overall motion, internal forces only affect its structural integrity.

4. How can internal forces be calculated for a massless rod in rotation?

Internal forces are calculated using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the concept of torque. By analyzing the external forces acting on the rod and applying the equations of motion, the internal forces can be determined.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding internal forces in rotating massless rods?

Understanding internal forces in rotating massless rods is crucial in engineering and design applications. It helps engineers and designers to ensure the structural integrity and stability of rotating structures such as helicopter rotors, wind turbines, and centrifuges. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of materials under rotational stress, such as in the case of rotating gears or propellers.