Finding Internal Resistance with a Graph: How to Derive r+δr from the Gradient?

• Thread starter safat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internal
In summary: R is small.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an oscilloscope, a SG with internal resistance, and a variable resistor. The goal is to plot V_R vs R and 1/V_R vs 1/R to derive r+δr from the gradient. The graph of 1/V_R vs 1/R should give a straight line and the graph of V_R vs R should resemble a log or hyperbola shape. The relationship between V_R and R can be derived from the circuit laws.
safat

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a simple circuit with an oscilloscope, a SG (with internal resistance), and a variable resistor.
r and R are in series.
for V_R=V_0*(R/R+r)
I measured a series of R and V_R values from the oscilloscope.
Now, I'm supposed to plot those values on a graph 1/V_R vs 1/R.
This should give me a straight line, and I am supposed to derive r+δr from the gradient.
But how? and from where? The graph of V_R vs R gave an expontential (I had a plateau at approx. 300 ohms)..I'm really confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/V_R = 1/V_0 (R+r)/R = 1/V_0 (1+r/R)
If you set y=1/V_R and x=1/r, this equation is just y=1/V_0 (1+r*x), a straight line, and you can get r.

The graph of V_R vs R gave an expontential (I had a plateau at approx. 300 ohms)
It is not an exponential function.

Argh! You are right about the shape! It resemble a log graph actually!
Many thanks for your help.

safat said:
Argh! You are right about the shape! It resemble a log graph actually!
No, it follows the shape y=a - b/x, as you can see in the original equation.

edit. as I misunderstood your answer.

TO recap:
the graph for 1/V_R vs 1/R should give me a straight line
and the graph for V_R vs R and hyperbola?
Right?

ok, last question, and then I promise I will stop bothering you!
Can you explain me why (in a broad sense) the graph is an hyperbola? Which kind of relationship there is between V_R and R to lead to an hyperbola?

You can derive V_R=V_0*R/(R+r) from the usual circuit laws. This is equivalent to V_R=V_0 - V_0*(r/R+r)

1. What is internal resistance-gradient?

Internal resistance-gradient is the measure of the change in resistance of a material as a function of its internal structure or composition.

2. How is internal resistance-gradient measured?

Internal resistance-gradient is typically measured using techniques such as electrical impedance spectroscopy, which involves applying an alternating current to a material and measuring the resulting voltage. The change in voltage over a range of frequencies can then be used to determine the internal resistance-gradient.

3. What factors affect internal resistance-gradient?

Internal resistance-gradient can be affected by a variety of factors, including the composition and structure of the material, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Additionally, external factors such as mechanical stress or exposure to certain chemicals can also influence internal resistance-gradient.

4. Why is internal resistance-gradient important in materials science?

Internal resistance-gradient is an important parameter in materials science as it can provide valuable insights into the internal structure and properties of a material. It can also affect the overall performance and reliability of electronic devices, as changes in resistance can impact their functionality.

5. How can internal resistance-gradient be manipulated or controlled?

Internal resistance-gradient can be manipulated or controlled through various methods, such as altering the composition or structure of the material, applying external stress or temperature changes, or introducing impurities or defects. Additionally, selecting materials with specific internal resistance-gradient properties can also be used to achieve desired outcomes in electronic devices.