Internal resistance of a battery

In summary, the individual is seeking help with an internal resistance question in their physics workbook. They have provided information about a resistance of 10.5 ohms connected to a battery and a current of 2 amps, and a resistance of 48 ohms resulting in a current of 0.5 amps. They believe the equation E = I(R+r) can help solve for the internal resistance, but they are unsure how to calculate the EMF. They are advised to set up two equations using the given values and solve for EMF and internal resistance.
AvoHead
Ok guys I need help! Its been a while since I last opened a physics workbook and now I'm back to studying to try and further my career and I've come across an internal resistance question that I can't get my head around!

A resistance of 10.5 ohms is connected across the terminals of a battery and a current of 2 amps flows. When this resistance is replaced by another resistance of 48 ohms a current of 0.5 amps flows. The internal resistance of the battery therefore equals?

The only equation I've come up with is E = I(R+r)

So to work out the internal resistance of the battery I need to work out the emf first to use the above equation but how do I do that? I thought of using similar equations but that will only work if there is one unknown in the equation not two right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can set up two such equations with the two values of resistance and current. Assuming the battery EMF doesn't change, you can then solve the 2 equations for EMF and internal resistance.

1. What is internal resistance of a battery?

Internal resistance is the measure of a battery's opposition to the flow of electric current within itself. It is caused by the resistance of the materials inside the battery, such as electrolytes and electrodes.

2. How does internal resistance affect a battery's performance?

Internal resistance can cause a battery to lose voltage and capacity over time, leading to a decrease in its performance. A higher internal resistance means a greater voltage drop and a shorter battery life.

3. What are the factors that affect internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by several factors such as its chemistry, age, temperature, and load. Different types of batteries have different internal resistances, and as a battery ages, its internal resistance increases.

4. How can we measure the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by using a multimeter or a battery analyzer. These devices apply a known load to the battery and measure the voltage drop, allowing us to calculate the internal resistance using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).

5. Can we reduce the internal resistance of a battery?

While we cannot completely eliminate the internal resistance of a battery, we can reduce it by using high-quality materials and designs, keeping the battery at optimal temperatures, and avoiding high loads and overcharging. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also help prolong the life of a battery by reducing its internal resistance.